Page Location: Home > HomeLand > Topic
1, 2  Next
shoutout33
rank 6
Posted:
Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:06 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hi all! This thread is either for Nikon or Starwalker, as they have both played HomeLand online. If there are others who have played the game, on or offline, please chime in as well. Would it still be worth having the game to play it offline? Are there certain things you don't have access to, unless you play online?

My wife's website: www.hieriphany.com
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:48 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Homeland is definatly worth buying for playing offline. I can't really say for sure what aspects of the game were online only, or if there was exclusive content.

If you plan to buy this, you need to be prepared to deal with the complete lack of english. (Also read this)

You will have to experiment, and be willing to die, or screw up in the game in order to determine what some things do. You might accidently sell all of your items, or do something else catastrophic. You must be prepared to take risks like this to figure stuff out in the game.

There are some basic translation guides available that will help you with menus, and over time I plan to put up more comprehensive gameplay translation guides here on the site.

To play Homeland, you need to be willing to explore, learn, and be patient.

Don't feel like you are thrust out on your own though. Me, Starwalker and anyone else who gets Homeland will be here to help you figure stuff out. I certainly don't know everything about the game either. I did manage to buy weapons, kill enemies, and heal, and level up all on my own though. Starwalker got a lot farther than me with this game so he is a bit more experienced.
rank 10
Posted:
Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:43 pm
quote : #3
Type: PAL
I second all that Lordnikon said.

Indeed it worth buying it, but i guess its not for everyone, you need to be patient and persistent if you want to enjoy the game.

The game uses an open world where your actions offline (and everybody actions online) determine what type of events happen untill you "unlock" one chapter of the several possible. Offline is not possible to complete some chapters because it needs a certain number of people to unlock, open or get something. But the major number of chapters can be completed offline.

I'm not sure if people read my commentaries in the "pictures and description thread" but maybe worth mentioning that this game doesn't work like PSO, where you build your level and keep stuff for the next adventure or quests. Here when you complete a chapter, you go back to your room and the world and all the level up and items resets, so when you start playing it again all is there to be unlocked. You gain some accessories to dress your character probably depending on the chapter completed and points to buy mascots and possibly a few other things.

But theres a offline story mode only to unlock, like a single player RPG. I completed a chapter offline and played many hours online so I can say I "tamed a bit more of the land" for other people if they need tips etc.
rank 6
Posted:
Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:41 pm
quote : #4
Thanks tons for the responses you two. Wasn't 100% sure if it's be worth it or not. One concern I do have, is that if you use freeloader to play the game, you can't see, some of the characters. Not that I'd be able to read them or not, but would this extremely affect gameplay? I don't plan to purchase a JP console, so I hope the game will play ok, even though the characters won't show.

Thanks again fellas.

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:51 pm
quote : #5
You can still play the game with freeloader just fine. It reallly doesn't make that much of a difference unless you were looking to start translating stuff on screen yourself. The lack of accurate Japanese text just makes it a bit harder following guides, or recognizing text in the game because it comes out as garbaled ascii text instead.

It looks a lot like this:

uo[`t@C^[5RvAuAXRbgK[fvfoW
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:52 pm
quote : #6
Well, after learning the information in today's newspost, I'd say this game's definately worth getting! My sister's actually studying abroad in Japan right now, so I'll see if she can get a copy for me there. Otherwise, I'll just get one from amazon.co.jp.

I wonder if the text will show up correctly with the region switch. I've been looking through various topics, and haven't gotten an answer. If no one else knows, I'm willing to test it out myself. The last time I tried modding my cube in this way, I got an error message at startup, and gave up. However, I recently found out that the problem wasn't with the motherboard modification, but rather due to the disc reading module being too loosely connected. I'll try the mod again, and if it works, I'll see if the text in Homeland shows up properly, and report the results to everyone.

Last edited by MasquedWarrior on Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Starwalker
rank 10
Posted:
Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:27 pm
quote : #7
Yeah as far as I know nobody tested it in a console with region switch. If it works will make things a bit easier for people that gets interested in the game.
rank 47
Posted:
Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:35 pm
quote : #8
MasquedWarrior wrote:
Well, after learning the information in today's newspost, I'd say this game's definately worth getting!

hehe yea I was waiting for someone to reply to this thread with that.
rank 2
Posted:
Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:42 am
quote : #9
The Region switch thing works. It displays the text in Japanese.

shoutout33
rank 6
Posted:
Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:01 pm
quote : #10
Whohoo!!! Mr. Green So toastwithjam (wtf? Neutral ), when will you be taking orders? Razz

toastwithjam
rank 2
Posted:
Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:56 pm
quote : #11
HAHA! I wish. I waited for this game to come to the US for a long time, and it didn't, so eventually I bought it. I really haven't done much yet, mostly because of lack of ability in Japanese (although I plan to learn a little bit). I'm just excited that importaku is finally getting back to writing that walkthrough.

importaku
rank 3
Posted:
Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:15 pm
quote : #12
Yeah im doing ok on the walkthrough, out of the 7 offline storys completed 5 of them & filled in a lot of missing info. I have realised just how broken parts of my old walkthrough were it was missing rather large sections that had me stuck as i had no idea what i did before but sorted all those out now. Not sure how im going to do the online storys as you need more than one person online. But least all offline stuff will be finished.
Posted:
Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:13 pm
quote : #13
I completed 2 stories and the offline only Story quest too. Not sure if you need any help in those. But I did enjoyed trying to figure it out some things to progress. Having a very descriptive guide for all things maybe wouldn't make it so fun. But that is just me, this game is probably very hard for most people so that will help them.
rank 3
Posted:
Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:16 pm
quote : #14
Which 2 storys did you do?

Finished anothe last night, So now i have written guides for.

Chapter of Oragon
Chapter of the dream world
Chapter of darkness
The demon kings volume
Chapter of micro
Chapter of Para daika

& now working on the volume of golem

If you want to try the best story the tale of 100 years ago is probably the best one, one of the longest too.

I know what you mean about it kind of spoiling bits of the game if you have a detailed guide but theres no way some of them can be done unless you know exactly what to do as even if you fully understood japanese the clus the game gives you are cryptic at best. The chapter of oragon is particularly tricky as at one pont in the story you have to open up the text menu & say a certain word while stood in a specific place to get to a secret room.

Theres a special hidden dungeon that took me ages to discover, On the path from kurotsu field that leads to Kaneru theres an area to the left thats full of very strong monsters, in that area theres a structure with 3 pillars that you can stand under, you have to lure the king monsters to the spot in the middle & kill them, if done correctly a beam of red light comes down. You have to repeat this quite a few times & eventually a portal will open & take you to a maze filled with some of the strongest monsters in the game, theres lots of poweful items hidden in this maze too. The king monsters are the largest ones you see & are usually black. they have king in kana at the end of their names.
Posted:
Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:35 pm
quote : #15
I completed:

The Chapter of the Dream World
The Demon Kings Volume
The Tale of 100 Years Ago

Looks like you already did those. Not sure if I can help is other things, like items that were not mention in guide. But probably you got all covered. I don't have many free time lately but maybe we can hook up someday to try a online only chapter.