Topic: Connection Guide?

Page 1 of 1
HomelandFan
rank 2
Posted:
Thu May 22, 2008 8:33 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hello, first let me say nice site and I realize I may be coming off as a bit rude to ask a question with my first post here.

Well I found your article about it being online forever and would love to play this game online. I was just wondering if you ever made the guide that you said you would be posting for people playing with a freeloader at the end of this article? http://gamecube.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1471

I would love the opportunity to play online but the garbled text is making entering the code hard. \

Thank you for your time Very Happy

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Thu May 22, 2008 9:15 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
After further review it is best to either acquire a Japanese GameCube, or mod a gamecube with a region switch. This would require soldering a wire to a few points on the motherboard.

Since Starwalker and myself plan on making more comprehensive guides about Homeland, showing translations for items and menus, we realised we can't do this for a Freeloader setup. Often times the garbled ascii text runs off the screen With Japanese i can just put it into HTML in a list, but for Freeloader we would have to take screenshots of every screen, and use pointing arrows to denote what is what.

Plus, in-game with Japanese text you can start to remember what menus do what without needing to translate them all fthe time, but with the Freeloader it makes it harder to remember.
rank 2
Posted:
Fri May 23, 2008 11:32 am
quote : #3
Ah, I understand.

I would like to request though that you make a guide just for putting in the direct ip connect code so I (and others using freeloader) can at least play online. Or if you can take screenshots of the area where you type in the code so I can get a rough idea of the location where the Japaneses characters are I will figure it out and, attempt to make a guide on how to connect with the freeloader.

Thanks.

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Fri May 23, 2008 1:25 pm
quote : #4
I run this entire website, so I have a lot of responsibilities. There are many other projects here I have slotted up higher than doing such a guide. To do the Freeloader Homeland Guide I would need to systematically take screenshots of every single character entry in Japanese, and then boot up the game using Freeloader and take screenshots entering in each of these characters. After this I would have to line each shot up and have arrows specifically pointing out where each character starts. This is a 3-4 hours project, and one that I am relucatant to start given the many other things on my to do list.

I personally do not believe people playing the Homeland with Freeloader is a good thing. The game becomes broken. All of the text is garbled. I personally won't play with other players who are using Freeloader since the Freeloader user is handicapped and will have an incredibly difficult time figuring anything out.

Making a guide for Freeloader would encourage people to play using that method. I do not want to encourage people to play that way.

Serious players should play the game with real Japanese characters. Which would mean either a Japanese GameCube or a region modded console.
rank 2
Posted:
Fri May 23, 2008 2:52 pm
quote : #5
That's why I said if I could just get pictures of the Japaneses characters I could figure out how to enter the code and make a guide for people myself.

The reason I personally would really like to get some help using freeloader to play online is, I do not have the money to import a Japanese gamecube nor the knowledge on where to buy a switch/how to install it. I am sure there are other people in my position as well and, I would like to help them while helping myself.

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Fri May 23, 2008 3:03 pm
quote : #6
Taking the pictures and pointing out the characters to enter, to you, is still going to take me a few hours. I have other tasks that are currently on my agenda that need to be worked on.

I am well aware that in a lot of situations people want to get a game working as cheaply and hassle free as possible. However this game really requires that you are able to render japanese to play it properly.

Plus, you do know that the game isn't online ready right out of the box? You have to complete a certain part of the offline game to be able to join servers, and even MORE of the offline game to host. So you are going to have to stumble through the game, with garbled text, before you can even take the game online in the first place.

Region modding a GameCube is pretty simple. You can pickup a spare gamecube for about 40 bucks, and all you need are a few cheap wires and parts, and a soldering iron, and you can mod your cube. It is one of the simplest mods you can do and there is a very low risk of breaking the console.
rank 2
Posted:
Fri May 23, 2008 3:27 pm
quote : #7
I would be stumbling through the game regardless since I don't speak Japanese. The reason I found this game is because I have a friend who plays this. He got the online unlocked using a freeloader so I can turn to him if things get to tough. Also, you don't need to point anything out to me all I need is a picture of the Japanese characters on screen.

Also, I wish I could say I had $40 to spare on another cube. If I did I would buy one anyway for LAN play anyway Razz

EDIT: I see this going nowhere though and I do not wish to start an argument. I will just try and get someone else to help me figure this out. I am grateful for you posting the code in the first place though Cool

Starwalker
rank 10
Posted:
Fri May 23, 2008 4:51 pm
quote : #8
Type: PAL
Its amazing if someone could complete a story offline using freeloader, at least without some type of help. Must have been a nightmare. Even with text in Japanese is not a easy game for people that don't read JP, and considering that using freeloader its almost impossible to distinguish things...I don't know, the game has already their very particular difficulty due to the language.

The biggest problem is what Nikon said that the game is not online right from the start, or else maybe it was not that bad playing online, but if you saw my post in a thread about the freeloader even the sofware keyboard dont work very good, and that would be a big problem.

I remembered something now that maybe I can test, but if people using a JP or modded GC see different characters from the ones people using FL see when chatting, it would be impossible to have any type of chat. I don't think it would have any interest playing the game online not to mention it would make things very difficult if not impossible to to progress.

I would try to take the screenshots anyway but the camera is broken, so not sure when I can take again.
rank 2
Posted:
Sun May 25, 2008 10:25 am
quote : #9
Thanks for the reply Starwalker, I'm sure it was difficult to go through but, he did manage to do it so I know it's possible. I THINK the English characters would be shown the same with the exception of the commas so communication should still be possible with non-freeloader users.

I would very much appreciate it too if you could upload those screenshots when you get a chance as well.