Page Location: Home > General Online > Topic
1, 2  Next

Forum: General Online

Topic: Prices on GC Hardware?

Page 1 of 2
Blast
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:41 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Posts: 58
Just taking stock of some of the stuff I will want for my Gamecube and overall its getting up in the stakes a bit and this is before I have even bought any games. Plus besides this there are choices to make so maybe some of you can help me along the way fill in any blank or suggest better prices? Take a look.

Gamecube vga cable or box: cant find any
Universal VGA box: Around 25

Broadband adaptor: 31 ish used from amazon

Keyboard adaptor from anything to Gamecube: cant find any
Gamecube keyboard: 57 ebay (there is only one on co.uk)

Freeloader: 9 from amazon
Gamecube mod chip: Havent even looked yet (depends on difficulty)

Memory card official: About 6 on ebay
Memory card 3rd party: Ive no idea on Gamecube 3rd party cards. Reliable? which ones?

Help or comments on any of the above appreciated. Ive included postage in the prices BTW and 1 is worth very roughly $2.
 
Hobofreak
rank 1
Posted:
Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:15 pm
quote : #2
profile : pm
Posts: 4
For the 3rd party memory cards I have a Liquidvideo 4X 16 Megabit Memory card and I've never had any problems with it for all the years I've had it.

Last edited by Hobofreak on Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
 
SEGA RPG FAN
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:15 pm
quote : #3
profile : pm
Posts: 65
Type: NTSC-U/C
Blast wrote:
Keyboard adaptor from anything to Gamecube: cant find any
Gamecube keyboard: 57 ebay (there is only one on co.uk)


Ebay US has keyboards for about $64 shipped from Japan. That's a better price. Otherwise the keyboard adapter is not a bad idea, they can be found for around 10. I think I'm going to go with that option for myself.
 
Blast
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:18 pm
quote : #4
profile : pm
Posts: 58
SEGA RPG FAN wrote:
Blast wrote:
Keyboard adaptor from anything to Gamecube: cant find any
Gamecube keyboard: 57 ebay (there is only one on co.uk)


Ebay US has keyboards for about $64 shipped from Japan. That's a better price. Otherwise the keyboard adapter is not a bad idea, they can be found for around 10. I think I'm going to go with that option for myself.


Cheers for both the replies. Where do you find a KB adapter for 10?
 
Hobofreak
rank 1
Posted:
Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:52 pm
quote : #5
profile : pm
Posts: 4
Here is a Gamecube VGA Box.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Gamecube-PC-Computer-Monitor-VGA-BOX-Adaptor-NEW_W0QQitemZ250252927152QQihZ0 15QQcategoryZ139969QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
*EDIT* After I posted this I read it's not PAL compatable.
 
SEGA RPG FAN
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:57 pm
quote : #6
profile : pm
Posts: 65
Type: NTSC-U/C
KB adapter: http://www.consoleplus.co.uk/product_info.php?pName=gamecube-keyboardjoypad-converter-2in1
 
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:24 pm
quote : #7
profile : pm
Posts: 1630
Type: NTSC-U/C
Blast wrote:
Gamecube vga cable or box: cant find any
Universal VGA box: Around 25

A gamecube VGA Box does not exist. If you want to render the GameCube on a PC monitor you need to do this with a component to VGA converter and run the game in 480p progressive scan. The game needs to support this, and your GameCube console needs to have a digital A/V out port (later, models had this removed).

The component to VGA Box will cost you about $70.00 and the GameCube component cables, which are rare, will cost about $60.00.

Blast wrote:
Broadband adaptor: 31 ish used from amazon

That is too expensive. You should be looking to get a GC BBA for around $20-$30. You could get even luckier scrounging around at a second hand shop and get one for $10.

Blast wrote:
Keyboard adaptor from anything to Gamecube: cant find any
Gamecube keyboard: 57 ebay (there is only one on co.uk)

You only have 2 options. Either buy the very expensive ASCII / SAMMY GC Controller Keyboard, which costs about $70.00 on average before shipping. Or, buy a GC Keyboard adapter. The adapters are sort of tricky to find these days.

Blast wrote:
Freeloader: 9 from amazon
Gamecube mod chip: Havent even looked yet (depends on difficulty)

Action Replay usually has Freeloader built in. So do searches for GameCube Action Replay too. It will cost you about $20-$40 USD

Blast wrote:
Memory card official: About 6 on ebay
Memory card 3rd party: Ive no idea on Gamecube 3rd party cards. Reliable? which ones?

Go with official cards. If you get some 3rd party cards, don't buy larger than 8mb cards, otherwise you risk corruption. If you ever plan to load homebrew over the BBA or backup saves, you will need an official memory card for that. As much as people like to say their 3rd party memory cards give them no problems (I have even had no problems), you want to keep your GC memory card stash as official as you possibly can.
  _________________
Homeland Character: トライジール (TRIZEAL)
PSOEP1&2 Character: lordnikon - Lv57 HUcast
Blast
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:08 am
quote : #8
profile : pm
Posts: 58


Thanks for that. Does anyone use this site is it active? I dont see any of the current gen consoles on the main page and just wondered if this either slightly retro or out of business?



lordnikon wrote:
Blast wrote:
Gamecube vga cable or box: cant find any
Universal VGA box: Around 25

A gamecube VGA Box does not exist. If you want to render the GameCube on a PC monitor you need to do this with a component to VGA converter and run the game in 480p progressive scan. The game needs to support this, and your GameCube console needs to have a digital A/V out port (later, models had this removed).

This sounds like a lot of fuss and money. I guess RGB scart is the next best option?

The component to VGA Box will cost you about $70.00 and the GameCube component cables, which are rare, will cost about $60.00.


This sounds like a lot of fuss and money. I guess RGB scart is the next best option?

Blast wrote:
Broadband adaptor: 31 ish used from amazon

lordnikon wrote:
That is too expensive. You should be looking to get a GC BBA for around $20-$30. You could get even luckier scrounging around at a second hand shop and get one for $10.


Ok I have checked at ebay.co.uk compleated listings and they end quite cheap there just dont appear to be any on right now Sad

Blast wrote:
Keyboard adaptor from anything to Gamecube: cant find any
Gamecube keyboard: 57 ebay (there is only one on co.uk)

lordnikon wrote:
You only have 2 options. Either buy the very expensive ASCII / SAMMY GC Controller Keyboard, which costs about $70.00 on average before shipping. Or, buy a GC Keyboard adapter. The adapters are sort of tricky to find these days.


If I can I will go with the above option (top of post) Once you use a KB adaptor does it still only have the one use?

Blast wrote:
Freeloader: 9 from amazon
Gamecube mod chip: Havent even looked yet (depends on difficulty)

lordnikon wrote:
Action Replay usually has Freeloader built in. So do searches for GameCube Action Replay too. It will cost you about $20-$40 USD


Is there any other reason to have the Action replay? Freeloader is cheaper stand alone.

Blast wrote:
Memory card official: About 6 on ebay
Memory card 3rd party: Ive no idea on Gamecube 3rd party cards. Reliable? which ones?

lordnikon wrote:
Go with official cards. If you get some 3rd party cards, don't buy larger than 8mb cards, otherwise you risk corruption. If you ever plan to load homebrew over the BBA or backup saves, you will need an official memory card for that. As much as people like to say their 3rd party memory cards give them no problems (I have even had no problems), you want to keep your GC memory card stash as official as you possibly can.


No problem, will be getting some soon Very Happy
 
Starwalker
rank 10
Posted:
Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:28 pm
quote : #9
profile : pm
Posts: 128
Type: PAL
Blast wrote:

lordnikon wrote:
Blast wrote:
Gamecube vga cable or box: cant find any
Universal VGA box: Around 25

A gamecube VGA Box does not exist. If you want to render the GameCube on a PC monitor you need to do this with a component to VGA converter and run the game in 480p progressive scan. The game needs to support this, and your GameCube console needs to have a digital A/V out port (later, models had this removed).


The component to VGA Box will cost you about $70.00 and the GameCube component cables, which are rare, will cost about $60.00.


This sounds like a lot of fuss and money. I guess RGB scart is the next best option?


None of the PAL games uses progressive scan, only some US and JP uses . You can still use the games on a PAL machine but since we can't see the menu you have to guess a bit to boot games in 480p.

The other best option is a RGB SCART cable yes, unless you have a NTSC console maybe a SVideo cable is slightly better


Blast wrote:
Broadband adaptor: 31 ish used from amazon

lordnikon wrote:
That is too expensive. You should be looking to get a GC BBA for around $20-$30. You could get even luckier scrounging around at a second hand shop and get one for $10.

Blast wrote:


Ok I have checked at ebay.co.uk compleated listings and they end quite cheap there just dont appear to be any on right now Sad


They are not as easy and cheap to find in Europe. And not many US people send it to EU.


Blast wrote:


Blast wrote:
Freeloader: 9 from amazon
Gamecube mod chip: Havent even looked yet (depends on difficulty)

lordnikon wrote:
Action Replay usually has Freeloader built in. So do searches for GameCube Action Replay too. It will cost you about $20-$40 USD


Is there any other reason to have the Action replay? Freeloader is cheaper stand alone.


Well maybe because you can use codes for the games. I only have a freeloader and never had any problems with it unless the game is incompatible of course.

Blast wrote:

Memory card official: About 6 on ebay
Memory card 3rd party: Ive no idea on Gamecube 3rd party cards. Reliable? which ones?


I suggest you to have at least 1 official memory card to use with important saves (like saves you cant copy from games that requires a lot of dedication) though I think its getting very hard to find it new. I never had many problems with 3rd party MC, maybe sometimes they didn't detect save at 1st try, but theres this game Animal Crossing that comes with a official card but if you use a 3rd party you eventually get corrupted.
  _________________
PSO Ep I & II character: Starwalker (FOmar) - Lv 80
HomeLand character: ソニツク (Sonic)
Blast
rank 7
Posted:
Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:38 pm
quote : #10
profile : pm
Posts: 58


Well a belated big thanks for that. These guys accept Paypal Very Happy so I have a Gamecube KB adapter on the way cost me just over 10 shipped.

Laters

Posted Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:41 pm:

lordnikon wrote:

You only have 2 options. Either buy the very expensive ASCII / SAMMY GC Controller Keyboard, which costs about $70.00 on average before shipping. Or, buy a GC Keyboard adapter. The adapters are sort of tricky to find these days.


Seems there is this too

http://www.consoleplus.co.uk/product_info.php?pName=gamecube-powerboard-keyboard

Laters
 
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:11 pm
quote : #11
profile : pm
Posts: 1630
Type: NTSC-U/C
The powerboard is junk. Don't even bother. All the power board is, is a really really cheap keyboard, with an adapter. You are already buying an adapter which you can use any keyboard you want. So you are good to go Wink
  _________________
Homeland Character: トライジール (TRIZEAL)
PSOEP1&2 Character: lordnikon - Lv57 HUcast
Blast
rank 7
Posted:
Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:29 pm
quote : #12
profile : pm
Posts: 58
lordnikon wrote:
The powerboard is junk. Don't even bother. All the power board is, is a really really cheap keyboard, with an adapter. You are already buying an adapter which you can use any keyboard you want. So you are good to go Wink


Cheers for that information



I can confirm that I bought the KB adaptor from this link. You can pay by Paypal so its just like buying now on Ebay. Item arrived very quickly and is as described so .... highly recomended. Also turns out they are located in my city Laughing So I'll have to look and see if its possible just to go shopping there or pick stuff up.

Wonder if this will work with the ps1/2 race wheel I just bought?

Laters
 
SEGA RPG FAN
rank 7
Posted:
Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:38 pm
quote : #13
profile : pm
Posts: 65
Type: NTSC-U/C
Glad the adapter worked out for you Blast. I had never done any business with that site before so it's good to know they're reputable.
 
Blast
rank 7
Posted:
Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:54 am
quote : #14
profile : pm
Posts: 58
[quote="lordnikon"]
Blast wrote:

Blast wrote:
Broadband adaptor: 31 ish used from amazon

That is too expensive. You should be looking to get a GC BBA for around $20-$30. You could get even luckier scrounging around at a second hand shop and get one for $10.


Seems that 31 is not going to be far off the average price here sadly Sad About 3 just came up on ebay with auction and buy it now of 29.99. I put them on watch but all went at the 29.99 in around 24 hours. Theres one on auction does not end for 6 odd days though and one with PSO 1+2. No hope of getting one in a second hand shop in UK pal territory either. May just have to pay up for this one its the missing piece in my jigsaw.

Laters
 
gary_b
rank 9
Posted:
Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:40 am
quote : #15
profile : pm
Posts: 122
Type: NTSC-U/C
Blast wrote:


Seems that 31 is not going to be far off the average price here sadly Sad About 3 just came up on ebay with auction and buy it now of 29.99. I put them on watch but all went at the 29.99 in around 24 hours. Theres one on auction does not end for 6 odd days though and one with PSO 1+2. No hope of getting one in a second hand shop in UK pal territory either. May just have to pay up for this one its the missing piece in my jigsaw.

Laters
you could always go with the modem. it sells for about half the price pf the BBA.
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Display:   
 
View previous topic - View next topic
Page Location: Home > General Online > Topic
1, 2  Next