Page 1 of 1
gary_b
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:52 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
does anyone know of some good racing games for the cube? i have tried 3 need for speeds games. i had most wanted and i checked carbon out. i own under ground 2. i have played mario kart double dash and i also know about kirby air ride. im more interested in games that have real cars.

any ideas?

MasquedWarrior
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:33 pm
quote : #2
Auto Modelista and R: Racing Evolution have real cars, although in Auto Modelista they're rendered in a cel-shaded style, as opposed to that of photorealism. What also should be noted is that the GC release of Auto Modelista is inferior to others, with no online multiplayer. In America, the PS2 versions servers are down, but the Japanese PS2 and (I think,) XBox releases can still be played online, albeit for a monthly fee. Besides that, the Nascar Thunder games?

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:53 pm
quote : #3
Auto Modellista is a cool racing game no matter what platform you play it on. Also, the GameCube version is harder to find than other platforms. So it is more sought after from a rarity perspective. It hasn't really impacted it price much though as it can be bought on Amazon for about 11 dollars after SH complete used.

The peak of racing excellence on the gamecube is it's futuristic racers. Buy all of these:
  • Extreme G3
  • XGRA
  • F-Zero GX
  • Tube Slider

The extreme-g games look best on the GameCube, F-Zero GX is developed by Sega's Amusement Vision so it is a MUST buy, and Tube Slider is a hidden GEM on the gamecube. All of these games run at a flawless 60fps on the cube.
rank 9
Posted:
Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:39 pm
quote : #4
Auto Modelista looks promising. the ones nikon suggested look ok but they don,t have real cars. tube slider looks interesting though. one good thing is all of these games are really cheap at the moment. i'm sure ill pick one or two up at a time after i get a few other cube related items i have in the works.

MasquedWarrior
rank 8
Posted:
Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:01 am
quote : #5
I would also like to thank you for recommending Tube Slider. I have seen some screenshots, and I also think it looks cool. The best part is, it's a Gamecube exclusive. (Just a look at my posting history will show that I'm obsessed with playing each game, "on the hardware it was originally intended to be played on," when possible.) The fact that the game's a GC exclusive implies it was optimized for the system's hardware; groovy! And I didn't know NEC still made games! I was aware of the TurboGrafx-16, the Turbo Duo, etc., but I thought they left the industry long ago. Neat!

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:30 pm
quote : #6
gary_b wrote:
Auto Modelista looks promising. the ones nikon suggested look ok but they don,t have real cars.

Whoops I forgot to read that part of your original post. Then yea, the futuristic racing games I recommended may not be your cup of tea.

Yea your best bet for sim style racing on the cube is R:Racing Evolution. Some other options to look into would be 4x4 Evolution 2, or F1 2002. I hate to recommend an EA game since they just rehash the same damn game every year, but there is only one F1 series game on the GameCube. So if you are into realistic racing this would be worth a look.

Auto Modellista is sort of based on real cars but the physics in the game are sort of arcady. Its still a great game though and well worth checking out!

MasquedWarrior wrote:
...I didn't know NEC still made games! I was aware of the TurboGrafx-16, the Turbo Duo, etc., but I thought they left the industry long ago. Neat!

NEC was merely the publisher of Tube Slider. The company NEC Interchannel has published many games.

The developer of Tube Slider is actually NdCUBE.
rank 15
Posted:
Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:41 pm
quote : #7
So you are looking for racing games more rooted in realism gary_b? Hate to say this, but the GC really didn't receive much in the way of sim. racers. MasquedWarrior basically gave you your two options outside of EA racers.

The games nikon recommended are great though. I can personally vouch for XG3, XGRA and F-Zero GX. I have yet to try Tube Slider ( Laughing ) out yet, but the videos that I've seen look very smooth and frenetic.

If you want a racing title a bit outside the norm, you should look into Wave Race: Blue Storm. It isn't realistic per se, but the experience isn't as over-the-top as a futuristic racer or MK: DD/Kirby Air Ride. It's a very different type of racing experience compared to racing cars on an asphalt surface. You have to learn how to glide over/under the waves instead of slamming into them. Very refreshing and enjoyable game.

gary_b
rank 9
Posted:
Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:31 pm
quote : #8
i forgot all about 4x4 evo 2. i have the first one on DC and i wanted the 2nt a long time ago. i just forgot to look into if it came out on the cube.

the futuristic style of racing games can be ok. and so can water racers. i played a few of them in the past on other systems. i just thought id start with a sim. i tend to play them more often. i don't mind arcade physics but i do like to see some licensed cars.

edit July 16th 2008. i looked at a few shops for 4x4 evo2. i had no luck but i ran into SRS, street racing syndicate. i have only played for about 20 minutes. but so far its not bad. it is a lot like the EAs need for speed games. i only paid 9 bucks for it. so it seems to at least be worth the $9.