Page 1 of 1
lazybum
rank 10
Posted:
Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:11 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
my gamecube came with a superpad pro controller, is this controller good? I kno 3rd party ones can be crap. Should I get a normal nintendo wired controller? or maybe the wavebird? Does the wavebird work reliabily though? ps2 wireless controllers have been crap for me.

TheMytho
rank 15
Posted:
Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:18 pm
quote : #2
Yeah, get a first party controller (wired or Wavebird) if you can. The third-party ones are all over the place, as with any system.

Heard nothing but praise for the Wavebird. It is a very reliable wireless controller. These are a little pricey, but definitely worth the cost.

Blast
rank 7
Posted:
Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:52 pm
quote : #3
Mine came with a 3rd party controller made by Game which is shite. I need to get an official one maybe? I seem quite at home playing GC on using the PS2 controller.

gary_b
rank 9
Posted:
Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:57 pm
quote : #4
i have a 3rd party controller and let me just say its a POS. i refuse to even use it. its not like it don't work or anything. it just feels like i'm holding trash. almost as if its gonna break if i push the buttons and sticks to hard lol.

do try to use official nintendo controllers, they seem to be made far better than most of the 3rd party junk out.

lazybum
rank 10
Posted:
Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:03 am
quote : #5
yea i went back to the store to try to switch it for a normal nintendo one, but they conveniently didnt have any ninteno brand gc controllers, he tried to give me a mad catz instead... i passed cus ive heard those are total garbage.

o and how do u use the ps2 controller on a gamecube?

gary_b
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:00 am
quote : #6
lazybum wrote:
yea i went back to the store to try to switch it for a normal nintendo one, but they conveniently didnt have any ninteno brand gc controllers, he tried to give me a mad catz instead... i passed cus ive heard those are total garbage.

o and how do u use the ps2 controller on a gamecube?
with something like this . the adapter i linked also converts computer keyboards to be used on gamecube as well as ps1 and ps2 controllers

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:11 pm
quote : #7
I think you are missing out if you are using a PS2 controller on all of your GameCube games. While for some games it doesn't matter, I think for certain games you really want to use an official Nintendo GameCube controller. The large green A button is great and the analog stick on the cube is superb.

Do not play Metroid Prime 1 & 2 with anything but a corded official nintendo brand cube controller. If you use a wavebird (which is the best wireless controller ever made) you lose rumble support. Metroid Prime 1 & 2 are experiences that you do not want to ruin, and want to get the most out of. Rumble in these games really enhance the experience.
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:28 pm
quote : #8
lordnikon wrote:
I think you are missing out if you are using a PS2 controller on all of your GameCube games. While for some games it doesn't matter, I think for certain games you really want to use an official Nintendo GameCube controller. The large green A button is great and the analog stick on the cube is superb.
i agree for the most part. in fact in all but one case and thats for one game that i love to play. the cube controller ruins it. ok maybe not ruins it, but it sure does make it harder. and that is fight night round 2. all your punching is done with the yellow C stick. its hard to pull off correct punching with that tiny stick. also the casing on the controller around the sticks are jagged. this makes smooth rolling harder. so for Fight Night round 2 you are far better off using either an XBOX or PS2 controller.

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:04 pm
quote : #9
Well, yea that is why I said "for certain games" you should really strive to use a GameCube controller (Metroid Prime, Pikmin, PN03). For 3rd party titles you could use any controller, and in the cases of FPS's like TimeSplitters or Red Faction 2, using a PS2 controller with a converter is a lot better.
rank 8
Posted:
Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:07 pm
quote : #10
lordnikon wrote:
I think you are missing out if you are using a PS2 controller on all of your GameCube games. While for some games it doesn't matter, I think for certain games you really want to use an official Nintendo GameCube controller. The large green A button is great and the analog stick on the cube is superb...

Not only that, but remember that the PS2's shoulder buttons are all digital. The GC controller's L and R buttons are pressure-sensitive. Granted, many games, such as Resident Evil 4, use the buttons as if they were digital, but some games, such as Luigi's Mansion, have functions that behave differently if you push the buttons down to different distances.

lazybum
rank 10
Posted:
Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:26 pm
quote : #11
yea i wont be gettin an adapter to use a ps2 controller then, all the the third party games ill just get for ps2 anyways, wont be getting a wavebird either because a new one is priced ridiculously high (80-100 something buck!) a used one is like 30 bucks but thats still too much for a worn down controller. Ive decided to get the official nintendo controller for like 24 bucks new with a cable extender so i wont have to sit 3 feet from the tv.

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:29 pm
quote : #12
MasquedWarrior wrote:
lordnikon wrote:
I think you are missing out if you are using a PS2 controller on all of your GameCube games. While for some games it doesn't matter, I think for certain games you really want to use an official Nintendo GameCube controller. The large green A button is great and the analog stick on the cube is superb...

Not only that, but remember that the PS2's shoulder buttons are all digital. The GC controller's L and R buttons are pressure-sensitive. Granted, many games, such as Resident Evil 4, use the buttons as if they were digital, but some games, such as Luigi's Mansion, have functions that behave differently if you push the buttons down to different distances.

Yea I totally forgot about the pressure sensitivity. Good point.

One game that a PS2 controller would be essential for, is Capcom vs SNK 2 EO. The EO version catches some slack because of its EO functions which make the game easier by mapping special moves to an individual button press to compensate for the GC's akward controller. However, you can go right into the options menu and disable all of the EO functions so the game plays just like it would on Dreamcast or the Arcade. If you don't own an arcade stick, using a PS2 controller would be an essential upgrade over the GameCube controller, which in my opinion is simply not suited for fighting games.

lazybum wrote:
yea i wont be gettin an adapter to use a ps2 controller then, all the the third party games ill just get for ps2 anyways, wont be getting a wavebird either because a new one is priced ridiculously high (80-100 something buck!) a used one is like 30 bucks but thats still too much for a worn down controller. Ive decided to get the official nintendo controller for like 24 bucks new with a cable extender so i wont have to sit 3 feet from the tv.

Yea the wavebirds are in very high demand, and have become hard to track down. I recommend going with an official controller, and like you said, a controller extender. You can buy these super cheap. I use them and they work great!
rank 10
Posted:
Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:17 am
quote : #13
yea , i dont wanna keep using my superpad pro forever because ill feel like im not getting to play the games at their full potential.

Posted Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:40 pm:

so yea, i just got a wavebird as part of a ridiculous deal i got at a thrift store yesterday, I got another gamecube, wired nintendo controller, wavebird, and intec memory card for $9.99. Im still proud of my deal haha. The sales clerk lady there thought it was broken i think because the wavebird had no wire.

wavebirds are like 40 bucks used online, and in a way im happy i did not pay that much for one. I have big hands and the wavebird is solid in the middle underneath the controller in order to house all the stuff to make it wireless. So my fingers are kinda squashed and have no where to go, so i have to hold the controller differently than the normal gamecube controller. It is not that horrible and I will still use the wavebird because wireless is nice. I am also worried about how much batteries this controller will eat up. It does let you turn it off when you are not using it though, so im hoping the battery life will be awhile for it.
Manji
rank 11
Posted:
Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:54 pm
quote : #14
sir, that was a great deal for $9.99. i need to take a look around my area for some clearanced gamecube goodies.

a friend of mine had one of those really tiny gamecube controllers gamestop was selling at one time (like micro-sized) and i have to say it wasn't horrible, but i sure wouldnt have bought one. if you had big hands, you would have throttled this thing like a toy. i give credit if the buttons are at least working and if the analog stick is responsive, so the best i can say about it, is that it worked. i would never abandon nintendo brand controllers. they're simply perfect, and personally, my favourite game controller for any console in existence. i like the sega saturn's d-pad (model 2) for 2D and standard neo-geo controllers have a cool clicky d-pad i like as well, but gamecube is definitely my choice for personal favourite (minus the tacked on d-pad). you can have long gaming sessions and your hands will be pain-free! which is something i can't say about every controller.

lazybum
rank 10
Posted:
Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:30 pm
quote : #15
Yea that is my best video game deal ever. I think I have seen some tiny ass third party wireless controllers like that. Just looking at them makes my hands start to cramp.