Page Location: Home > GameCube Lounge > Topic
Manji
rank 11
Posted:
Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:39 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
well, i have a couple issues regarding this. first, where is the best place to find these things, if possible. i realize Nintendo themselves do not carry or sell these anymore, so of course they are hard to find. i like using first-party Nintendo-brand products on Nintendo consoles. if i can't find these, how reliable are the third-party/universal s-video or component cables available?

also, why would Nintendo not sell these things in the store to begin with? Confused why would someone need to "special" order it from Nintendo? i've seen Sony-brand component cables on the shelves before and have always wondered why Nintendo does things the way they do. in fact, i had to order an s-video cable a long time ago when i had my first gamecube. unfortunately, i lent it out to a friend never to get it back. that one is gone as far as i can tell, so i have to get another one, but of course, they are obscure items for seemingly no good reason.

any help would be appreciated. thank you

Kannibal
rank 4
Posted:
Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:19 pm
quote : #2
Why don't you use a 3rd party one? they are as good as the first party ones...lol...IMO!
rank 47
Posted:
Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:04 pm
quote : #3
There is a difference in video quality for a lot of GameCube S-Video cables. Finding official ones is very hard.

The problem is, some GameCube S-Video cables render the graphics through a cheaper construction which yields a nasty visual display problem. The graphics look almost as if they are being passed through a hexagonal filter of some kind. I own a good and crappy set of S-Video cables. I need to break them out and take some pictures of how they render some time so people know what to look for. Finding the right set of S-Video cables may take between 1-3 purchases.
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:31 pm
quote : #4
lordnikon wrote:
There is a difference in video quality for a lot of GameCube S-Video cables. Finding official ones is very hard.
i thought i would note that N64 cables will work on the cube. so when you search look for both N64 or cube. they are the same cable.

Manji
rank 11
Posted:
Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:42 pm
quote : #5
gary_b wrote:
lordnikon wrote:
i thought i would note that N64 cables will work on the cube. so when you search look for both N64 or cube. they are the same cable.
thanks, and i think the s-video cables are backwards compatible with the SNES even (older model). i will be looking around.

it's a shame nintendo took out the digital a/v port from gamecubes manufactured after may 2004. i recently purchased a gamecube and i have the analog a/v out instead. Confused i guess it was a cost cut on nintendo's part since they found not many people used the digital a/v at all

Edit/Update: i went ahead and purchased an s-video cable from nintendo themselves again. cost me $22 all together.