Page 1 of 1
Manji
rank 11
Posted:
Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:09 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
do you think gamecube would have been better with an integrated memory system like hard drive, the memory card it uses, or memory cards that fit into the controller (ala N64, DC)? i dont know if a wavebird could transfer save data information wireless, but it could be interesting. or if there was a way to save your gamecube games on your gba or something.

gary_b
rank 9
Posted:
Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:25 pm
quote : #2
a hard drive might have helped some. but i wouldn't say it alone would make it to much better. now if Nintendo included a hard drive and more online support it could have done a lot for the cube.

Manji
rank 11
Posted:
Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:11 pm
quote : #3
i thought it was kind of strange to have 3 different memory cards that hold different amounts of save data. the 59 block of memory seems insubstantial when you could just have 1019 (which unfortunately wasn't released until a year or more after the gc was on store shelves). also, what's up with the numbers (59, 251, 1019)? i havent really done the math but they seem like random choices. i will say i like the memory card though. small size, good build quality and reliable. in fact i've had my 251 memory card since the beginning of time and it works like brand new. however, nintendo should have made 1019 standard and most people would have only needed one memory card. although i understand the whole cost issue, in that some people would opt for the cheapest option as long as it's saving the games they're playing right now.

a hard drive would have been cool, or if nintendo released something that plugged into an open serial port, maybe even make the gameboy player double as drive storage.

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:37 pm
quote : #4
Anytime I see people using a HardDrive, they will invariably wish there was a memory card as well to back up date from the HardDrive. HD's die out, unless you are talking about things like Solid State Drives. So no matter what you would need both a HD and memory cards.

Nintendo's strategy of releasing the 3 types of cards worked well. Obviously they didn't have the technology at launch to develop a stable 251 or 1019 that was cost effective. Remember quite a few games in Japan included 59 memory cards with the game. It would be unrealistic to pack in 251's or even 1019's.

I personally think the GC 1019 memory card is perfect. Once you have this, the idea of the HD ceases to become an issue.
rank 8
Posted:
Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:34 pm
quote : #5
Manji wrote:
he 59 block of memory seems insubstantial when you could just have 1019 (which unfortunately wasn't released until a year or more after the gc was on store shelves). also, what's up with the numbers (59, 251, 1019)? i havent really done the math but they seem like random choices.

The numvers ate the amount of space, in megabits. The cards have capacities of 64, 256, and 1024 megabits, respectively, (2^6, 2^8, and 2^10) However, the partitioning data the Gamecube writes to a card takes up 5 megabits, hence the lower amount.

Manji
rank 11
Posted:
Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:47 am
quote : #6
MasquedWarrior wrote:
The numvers ate the amount of space, in megabits. The cards have capacities of 64, 256, and 1024 megabits, respectively, (2^6, 2^8, and 2^10) However, the partitioning data the Gamecube writes to a card takes up 5 megabits, hence the lower amount.

thank you! i knew it had something to do with how much available space, but i wasn't sure about the numbers aspect.

there is one example i would use in defense of having memory cards for the controller (or four memory card slots on the console, but that seems excessive). in timesplitters future perfect, you have to create a player profile before you start the game (granted, you can just make a name and not save with it, but most people like to see their player progress and stats since it's a fun part of the game). with the gamecube only having two memory card slots, that means someone would need to have their player profile on someone else's memory card during a 3 or 4 player game. maybe not too big of a deal, but it's certainly inconvenient.