Page 1 of 1
Manji
rank 11
Posted:
Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:54 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
if you look at the photograph below, you can see there are 2 different cartridge moldings. one has a bottom half which is slightly concave and the other doesn't. i always wondered about the function of this design, whether it has any significance and why SNES games took this shape. was it so they were easier to insert and remove from the console itself? i dont have a snes system or games to see for sure, but it looks like they were done that way so if you pressed the eject button, they popped out easier. i personally like the older carts better because it basically looks like they just chiseled out some plastic on the newer ones for no good reason. did people really have problems with removing the cartridges that much? or did nintendo want to maximize the snes' eject button feature?

not only that, nintendo removed the eject button from the SNES control deck in its later revision making this design useless Mad. in addition, super famicom carts never had changes as far as i know. and dont pal carts look like the japanese carts? so, this little difference exists for u.s. cartridges only, designed around an eject button nintendo eventually did away with anyways Laughing

lazybum
rank 10
Posted:
Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:09 pm
quote : #2
speaking of snes... I just got one last week Laughing . Haven't played it yet, but I have fzero and killer instinct which I bought awhile ago. I'll have to check out the design of my cartridges.
Manji
rank 11
Posted:
Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:00 pm
quote : #3
f-zero was one of the earlier titles released (in fact it was a launch title), so i think that one would have the old cart shell. killer instinct probably has the newer one. also speaking of killer instinct, doesnt that one come in a black cartridge? i remember that one and a game called maximum carnage which came in a red cartridge. i honestly think those two games gathered a few extra sales simply because they didnt come on a standard gray cart.

oh and congrats on getting a snes! is this your first one?