Topic: Hey guys, I just got this game.

Page 1 of 1
Cosmonaut
rank 2
Posted:
Sat May 16, 2009 12:24 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
I stumbled upon this forum in my quest for information on Homeland, because like I just mentioned, I just got this game. Unfortunately I do not have a Japanese GameCube yet to play it on, so I'm still looking for one.

A little back story: I was interested in Homeland waaaaaaay back in 2004-2005 and I forgot about it because it never came out over here. Anyways, I suddenly remembered about it mid-April, and as a joke I kind of looked it up on the import site I was browsing (yesasia). Much to my surprise, they had it listed for $22 US brand new($28 CDN for me) because it was 60% off the regular price. I decided to buy it right away, and here we are.

Anyways, I just wanted to post this here, even though I noticed this board is dead.

Anyways, thanks a lot and nice meeting you guys.

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Sat May 16, 2009 12:36 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Cosmonaut it is great to see you purchased Homeland. I am currently working on a variety of things as always here at OC, and one of the big ones is an upcoming beginners translation guide to Homeland. So things will start to pick up in this forum specifically once that is completed and up on the site. There are some other rough guides out there, one specifically by Importaku, but this one I am making is much more straight forward with some better visual images and such.

As far as Homeland though, this is the only website/community in the west to focus on Homeland at all. So you came to the right place.

The Homeland community here will start to pick up steam this summer, as the guide is essential for that. Otherwise people are left lost not knowing how to get started, and there are too many unknowns which scares people off. The fact that people may or may not need to buy a japanese gamecube or mod one... and are thrust into a game that is entirely japanese can be rather intimidating. So the guide and some info about region modding a gamecube will give people the motivational push to get active in this game. Wink
rank 2
Posted:
Sat May 16, 2009 1:08 am
quote : #3
Haha, I didn't expect a reply that quick. Yeah, I definitely thought it'd be in my best interest to post on this board. I saw mention of you working on that guide (which I'm looking forward to), and I have checked Importaku's guide as well (which I bookmarked for once I'm able to play).

Until I'm able to play though, me and my girlfriend decided to personally translate (with the occasional help from her Japanese best friend) the instruction manual, to 1) freshen up our (really limited) Japanese, and 2) to kind of understand the game a bit before I start playing it. So far, we've done part of the blurb about the story (I assume) at the beginning. Admittedly we were really slow doing it, but hopefully we get into the groove and pick up our pace as we go.

Anyways, I really do hope this does take off a bit, even if it's only a few more users. I really want to give this game a shot online without having to buy two copies of the game, haha. Plus it'd be great to see a lot my Western interest in this game.

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Sat May 16, 2009 1:30 am
quote : #4
Once I get the core beginners guide up, I will let people add to it, and I will integrate anyones contributions as we go. So if you end up translating manual info or other aspects, we can add that to the guide and contributors are added as co-authors.

Things will get active here so you will have people to play with in Homeland. I have been running this site for over 7 years, so I can guarantee it. If anything you will definatly have me to play with Wink
rank 11
Posted:
Sat May 16, 2009 5:39 am
quote : #5
hi cosmonaut,

i am in the same situation as you except i didnt find out about Homeland until joining OC. i just recently bought Homeland for only $25 including shipping. game was in excellent condition although not new.

right now i am waiting to get a native japanese Gamecube in the mail but it has a region switch installed so i can play both JPN and USA games. i'm very excited! i am lucky enough to be apart of the PSO community here as well and i can tell you OC is a great place to play these games. i will definitely be another one to add to the list of active Homeland players. i took a japanese language course a long long time ago so i dont remember much (mostly how to read katakana and hiragana) but i always find it fun to learn. also i've played through imports before so is really nothing too new to me either. anyways, i look forward to playing! Mr. Green

Cosmonaut
rank 2
Posted:
Sat May 16, 2009 1:50 pm
quote : #6
That's awesome. My kind of "home" forum is the Next Gen-Gaming board on GameFAQs, and it looks like another poster there is going to pick it up as well. I've also started a topic on GameFAQ's Homeland board to catch potential passerbys.

I've been using eBay to look out for Japanese Cubes, though they're a bit more expensive than I want to pay. I'm going over to Vancouver at the end of the month, and supposedly I have a couple of opportunities to find one over there. If that doesn't work, then I'm just going to get my girlfriend to pick me up one when she's visiting her friend in Japan, but unfortunately that won't be until August.

Thankfully my friend has a broadband adapter for the cube he never used, so I can just borrow his. That leaves me with one less thing to worry about.

Posted Fri May 22, 2009 11:55 pm:

Well, looks like I finally found a Japanese Cube. Ordered it off Play-Asia because it was on sale for like $39.99 US, I'm Canadian so it was more like $45, but hey! it's still cheap and brand new, and I get a free Disney soccer game. Sucks shipping was like $50...but hey, oh well.

Posted Tue May 26, 2009 3:14 pm:

So I got my Japanese Gamecube finally! I'm gonna play around in Homeland a bit later. I've also asked my friend if he still has his GC broadband adapter, which I'll borrow off of him if he does.