Page Location: Home > Support > Getting Online > Topic
RemixDeluxe
rank 1
Posted:
Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:50 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U
I'm attempting to play Kirby Air Ride Online using Xlink Kai. I thought it would be as simple as plugging in the Ethernet from the router to the GameCube and then going on my laptop and setting up an arena. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I'm not connecting with my friend's GameCube and we really wanna play together online.

DarkCrystalMethod
rank 2
Posted:
Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:21 pm
quote : #2
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Strangely enough you might need the same nationality GameCube and game disk. Region locking wasn't planned they just never though of international GameCubing so it is effectively region locking.
NTSC(USA) PAL(Europe) NTSC-J(Japan) etc
(Try searching their online forums for the full answer. Also try asking "the ones who type in orange" in chat.)

After that Xlink Kai works decently.
There is a diagnostic mode so you can at least see if Xlink is finding your own cube. Metrics button. Give it a few seconds to look around. If your GC itself is actively searching for LAN games then Xlink will detect it. If you're just sitting on the title screen it may as well be off as far as Xlink is concerned.

Also if you and your friend are nearby, just direct cable it and set up two TVs at your house. That is guaranteed to work. Xlink only pretends to be an extra long direct connection with a bit of lag thrown in for fun.

Enjoy!
*If you're in southern California lets set something up over any typical weekend. The only LAN game I have is MarioKart:DoubleDash though.