Page Location: Home > General Online > Topic
Whoobin
rank 10
Posted:
Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:46 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Why weren't there more Online and LAN games for the GameCube?
2. HomeLand (2 Copies)
3. Phantasy Star Online Episode 3 C.A.R.D. Revolution
4. (2 copies) Kirby Air Ride
5. (2 copies) 1080° Avalanche
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:38 am
quote : #2
People can theorize about this like crazy, but in the end it was simply a raw business decision. Nintendo didn't feel it was worth it from a financial perspective to invest heavily in the online space for the GameCube. I think you specifically had to go to Nintendo and pitch them a case on implenting online for a game for them to supply you with the network development tools to create an online game for the gamecube.

I think Ubisoft and EA would have gone all out and independently implemented online for the Cube despite a central service. The PS2 was an open network and not centralized just like the cube. So Nintendo must have been the gatekeepers preventing this from happening. They had good reason to prevent it. If there were an abundance of online games for the GC, they would be looked at as running a service whether one existed or not. Also, people would start to ask "where are the Mario online games? why isn't SSBM online? can you make an online version of this?" It would have been way too much heat.

Instead they could just say "well we don't do online for GC, it was just for PSO". Then Homeland was always this wierd japanese only thing that happened late in the GC's life cycle.

The 3 LAN games for the gamecube were all from first party Nintendo developers. They were a part of Nintendo's push for "Connectivity".
rank 10
Posted:
Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:36 pm
quote : #3
lordnikon wrote:
People can theorize about this like crazy, but in the end it was simply a raw business decision. Nintendo didn't feel it was worth it from a financial perspective to invest heavily in the online space for the GameCube. I think you specifically had to go to Nintendo and pitch them a case on implenting online for a game for them to supply you with the network development tools to create an online game for the gamecube.

I think Ubisoft and EA would have gone all out and independently implemented online for the Cube despite a central service. The PS2 was an open network and not centralized just like the cube. So Nintendo must have been the gatekeepers preventing this from happening. They had good reason to prevent it. If there were an abundance of online games for the GC, they would be looked at as running a service whether one existed or not. Also, people would start to ask "where are the Mario online games? why isn't SSBM online? can you make an online version of this?" It would have been way too much heat.

Instead they could just say "well we don't do online for GC, it was just for PSO". Then Homeland was always this wierd japanese only thing that happened late in the GC's life cycle.

The 3 LAN games for the gamecube were all from first party Nintendo developers. They were a part of Nintendo's push for "Connectivity".

How come there weren't more LAN first party titles? I mean, I know Warpipe and Xlink kind of steered Nintendo away from having more LAN games... But, still I think it would have been nice to have a few more of them. How did Chunsoft get permission from Nintendo to make Homeland online, and why was it never localized?
2. HomeLand (2 Copies)
3. Phantasy Star Online Episode 3 C.A.R.D. Revolution
4. (2 copies) Kirby Air Ride
5. (2 copies) 1080° Avalanche