Page Location: Home > GameCube Lounge > Topic
TheMytho
rank 15
Posted:
Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:28 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I started playing Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike again and boy did I forget how lousy the on-foot portions are. The first mission in particular makes a bad first impression if you've never played Rebel Strike. Nearly all the on-foot missions devolve into locking-on with L, mashing the A button to fire your blaster and occasionally throwing a thermal detonator at a group of enemies all while running towards some objective.

By far the worst of the on-foot levels are the platforming based ones. One level in particular, Sarlacc Pit, forces you to jump on to a pair of rotating sand barges to reach Princess Leia. The camera sits so far back that it impedes your ability to line up your jumps. During one attempt, I tried making the final two jumps in the sequence to reach the stationary sand barge holding Princess Leia. Despite moving to the other end of the level, the camera somehow returned to its original position at the beginning of the level, forcing me to fall in the pit and restart the level.

Even with the many failings of the on-foot portions, I'm still having fun. The flight portions feel just as refined and smooth as ever. I'm also impressed with how solid the movie clips look on my CRT over component.

Starwalker
rank 10
Posted:
Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:51 pm
quote : #2
Type: PAL
Never played Rogue Squadron III (but own Rogue Squadron II that bought back in the day), but after reading what you have said, reminded me of why I probably never took the plunge to buy it, even if it was always on my mind to do it.

One thing that Rogue Squadron III has that maybe not all the people know or don't remember is, that it includes most of Rogue Squadron II as a 2 player co-op mode. That's really amazing. Cool
rank 47
Posted:
Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:05 am
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
I totally forgot about the co-op mode for Rogue Squadron 2. I think I know someone I need to play that with. Wink

Also yea the on-foot missions in Rogue Squadron III are pretty lame. I wish they had not tried to do that. If I could I would turn the blaster on myself to end the mission LOL.