Page Location: Home > Mario Kart Double Dash > Topic
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:10 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Me and registered user Nine were able to get mario kart double dash functioning tonight and it worked. However I have a connecting with 40kb/s of upstream, he has a connection with only around 15 kb/s of upstream. Basically you have to have 30 kb/s of upstream of your gonna have unplayable framerate. The framerate we had was playable.....but I mean I was able to dodge red turtle shells put it that way lol.

(BTW: I have a 320 kilobit upstream on my DSL, which is 40 kilobytes/second. Regardless of how fast I could download and upload...in the end both parties must be able to handle the line for it to work effective.....Nine's upstream was 15 kb/s. Which was the source of the lag.)

I would say....from the majority of the people I have run into on the internet......50% of them have DSL or Cable lines with....15kb/s upstream.

If your confused when someone starts talking to you about kilobytes and kilobits here is how it works. For instance a 15 kilo-byte per second upstream is a 120 kilo-bit upstream. You divide the kilo-bits by 8 to get its transfer speed.

For instance if i was streaming an mp3 to someone across the internet, and that mp3 was 128 kbit, you would need 16kb/s of downstream to listen to it. Inversly I would also need 16kb/s to upload it to you or where ever I was streaming to.

The warp pipe website recommends that you need a broadband connection with atleast a 256 kbit upstream....which is 256/8 which equals 32 kilobytes/second of upstream. LAN games work differently than internet games. This is my personal first experience with tunneling any sort of LAN game online.

The lag is different than lag in an internet game. Instead of objects bouncing around the screen, a short supply of upstream on either party involved will CRIPPLE the framerate. From what I can guess me and Nine were playing at about 25 frames/second. It was still playable. We finished a race.

So you not only need a broadband provider....but you need one thats not gonna chince you on your upstream.....most of them do. This is how broadband makes lots of cash. if you limit people by how much they can upload....then you can only download off your peers as fast as they can upload to you. I know...evil right?

I just thought I would bring this up for people out there upgrading from dialup, or even switching broadband ISP's for online cube tunneling. I can say that this is a beta...and there might be some signifigant speed improvements in the next build of warppipe. In the end however, your going to need a internet service provider with decent upstream.

If you wanna test your bandwidth hit up the following URL:
http://www.dslreports.com/stest/
rank 9
Posted:
Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:23 am
quote : #2
Ah... very informative. Thanks.

It looks like I'm at 248, 238, or 237 kbps, depending on which server you ask. That should do. Can't wait for that BBA to arrive...

Last edited by martianviking on Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lunar Eclipse
rank 24
Posted:
Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:12 pm
quote : #3
That's interesting... Thanks for the info, nikon.

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." (Winston Churchill)
Nine
rank 9
Posted:
Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:40 pm
quote : #4
Crying or Very sad I just found out to get a higher upload speed I have pay for a business account. $75 per month... SUCKS.

But, then I will supposedly have "Unlimited" upload speed. I find that hard to believe, but after talking to another person who has it, I learned that may mean I will have a steady 1.5 megabit upload capability. Which is also hard to believe.

We do have a very advanced fiber network here, so Im doing research, weighing my options and determining whether its worth it. It may just very well be. I will post as soon as do get it though, if I do.

On a side note, I got a much faster framerate playing with someone from oregon on a T1, I had my standard cable ul speed, but because they were close and I connected to them, It worked better, but still probaly not even 30fps