Topic: GameCube AOL Ladder Service?

Page 1 of 1
McRing_Ring
rank 38
Posted:
Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:12 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
According to [url=http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=NVPCXGCNRRRKMCRBAELCFFA?type=technologyNe ws&storyID=3966707§ion=news]Reuters[/url], AOL is making a new gaming 'ladder' for the Gamecube, which is currently launching for PS2.

This service is free for AOL users and $20 a month for others?!

Planet GameCube wrote:

AOL Ladders is based on the Case's Ladder service, which allows online players to find opponents, play each other, and then report the results of the game to a ranking server. The results are used to keep global rankings, so the best players will be recognized. In some services, the top players can even receive prizes. Ladder rankings have been used in online PC gaming and Xbox Live for years, while console games have sometimes replicated the concept through passwords that can be entered on a special website. Ikaruga for GameCube had just such a feature.

What's unusual about this announcement is the plan to support GameCube in 2004. Currently, the only GameCube title with confirmed online play is Phantasy Star Online III, which is not conducive to ladder rankings anyway. So, considering recent deals and plans for cooperation between Nintendo and AOL, this announcement could indicate that there are unannounced online titles being planned for GameCube in the coming year.

From the sounds of this AOL is just trying to make money, because they know no one uses their service Razz

Planet GameCube thinks that this may mean more online titles, but personally I don't think this will be the case.

This must be the AOL-Nintendo alliance that was posted Here
Posted:
Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:20 pm
quote : #2
Not a bad idea, but defently not worth $20 a month.

It's still AOL too...I dont like AOL.......

McRing_Ring
rank 38
Posted:
Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:14 pm
quote : #3
yeah that $20 a month could buy me so much more, and Canadian it would be about $27 i think
Posted:
Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:22 am
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
This purly baffles me. What is there to ladder? I don't get it. This whole AOL + Nintendo thing seems like a huge mystery to me. I still don't understand what games they can possibly make ladders for. Unless they liscesced database software for Ikaruga, Fzero and Mario Golf. Which I doubt.
rank 25
Posted:
Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:53 pm
quote : #5
This is interesting...but there is no way I'm going back to AOL.. Laughing Laughing Laughing

AC/GC
rank 8
Posted:
Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:08 pm
quote : #6
what the fo-shizzle-dizzle?!
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:10 am
quote : #7