1, 2  Next
McRing_Ring
rank 38
Posted:
Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:04 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
IGN.com wrote:
January 20, 2004 - For months Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has been offering Japanese newspapers vague comments about a new mystery hardware that the company would launch in 2004. Nintendo of America today pulled back the curtains on the top-secret device and it looks to be good news for Nintendo fans worldwide.

The company's mystery machine is in fact a dual-screened portable game device that is entirely separate from both the GameCube and the Game Boy Advance. It will be marketed completely free of its sister hardware. It's called Nintendo DS for Nintendo Dual-Screen.
Nintendo DS features two connected 3-inch backlit TFT LCD display panels -- one on top of the other, according to a Reuters report -- and two separate processors. The device features an Arm9 main processor and an Arm7 sub processor.

The portable will not use GameCube optical disc or Game Boy Advance cartridge based media. Instead, it will play software on semiconductor memory of up to 1 Gigabit, according to the manufacturer.

Nintendo explains the importance of the dual-screen setup: "Players can look forward to being able to manage their game progress from two different perspectives, enhancing both the speed and strategy of the challenge. For example in a soccer game, users can view the whole game on one screen while simultaneously focusing on an individual soccer player's tackle or goal on the other screen.

"Players will no longer be forced to interrupt game play to shift perspective, such as moving from a wide shot to a close up, or alternating between a character's ongoing battle and a map of the environment. Nintendo DS makes it possible to perform the tasks in real time by simply glancing from one screen to the other."

Today's revelation is just the beginning, according to the company. The bulk of information on the machine will be unveiled at May's Electronics Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles.

"We have developed Nintendo DS based upon a completely different concept from existing game devices in order to provide players with a unique entertainment experience for the 21st century," explained Satoru Iwata, Nintendo president.

"We're not trying to take on PSP, because this machine will be completely different than anything that exists right now," said Nintendo spokesman Yasuhiro Minagawa.

The announcement, seemingly out of nowhere, likely comes in preparation for Nintendo's upcoming financial report. Also, developers have indicated that they will soon receive development hardware for the new system and with that Nintendo wouldn't be able to keep it a secret for very much longer.

There are no photographs of the device available. However, IGN's own Matt Casamassina has created a conceptual drawing of what the Nintendo DS may look like. Very intriguing, for sure. We know one person who will enjoy the dual screens!

The Nintendo DS will be on-hand at E3 2004 in fully playable form, according to the company. It will ship in the last half of 2004.

Discuss your ideas on this 'thing'

EDIT: Here's an artists idea of what it may look like

(The pictures a joke if you can't firgure it out Razz)
Posted:
Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:28 pm
quote : #2
Yeah, I saw this article too. The concept sounds interesting if nothing else. I don't really know how much support the system will get from developers given its unique design, but I think that the idea is novel and will result in some very interesting games. I am very anxious to see the design of this contraption since I am having some trouble visualizing the system.

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." (Winston Churchill)
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:49 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
virtual boy! virtual boy! virtual boy!
rank 18
Posted:
Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:59 pm
quote : #4
It sounds interesting. I just hope it doesnt flop, as the VB did.

Nine
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:40 pm
quote : #5
Very Happy I think it sounds like a great idea. Two screens is definitely better than one, I read that the screens can be used as one larger screen. Add the unnaounced other goodies the system is *suppose to offer and it looks like a PSP competitor and possible sucessor to the GameBoy Advance , even though Nintendo says its not... Cool

I very well could be wrong.

DS: MPH: Team Battle Anyone?, Tetris, Worms, AC
PS2: Monster Hunter!
Zeiram_Wing
rank 7
Posted:
Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:50 am
quote : #6
Type: NTSC-U
lordnikon wrote:
virtual boy! virtual boy! virtual boy!

Ah, damnit! you beat me! I have a virtual boy, and its neat for like, 10 min. (when the batteries go dead) another portable is a third pillar? i don't know....
-F-Zero GX Local Online Ranking: 1st in PA-
DarkLink
rank 25
Posted:
Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:52 pm
quote : #7
Seeing as how Nintendo says connectivity between systems is important it would'nt come as a surprise to me if this new machine hooks up with the GC and/or GBA......

Lunar Eclipse
rank 24
Posted:
Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:30 pm
quote : #8
I don't know about them hooking up. I mean, it almost seems like this system's goal is interconnectivity in and of itself. Now, instead of being tied to the Gamecube for the advantages of connectivity, the DS does it all by itself. I think that the DS is a novel concept if nothing else.

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." (Winston Churchill)
Suppa Buddha
rank 13
Posted:
Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:09 pm
quote : #9
I my opinion there is no need for an extra screen. If they're going to have two screens just put it into one nice six inch. I'll be too lazy to shift my eyes to the other perspective or whatever.
rank 23
Posted:
Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:47 pm
quote : #10
Suppa Buddha wrote:
I my opinion there is no need for an extra screen. If they're going to have two screens just put it into one nice six inch. I'll be too lazy to shift my eyes to the other perspective or whatever.

But having two screens will allow the game and its developers to display two different sets of data at the same time, each on their own, full-sized screen. Something developers cannot do as of yet. It could also, somehow, be almost like a "splitscreen" multiplayer game.
Posted:
Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:11 pm
quote : #11
satoshi wrote:
Suppa Buddha wrote:

But having two screens will allow the game and its developers to display two different sets of data at the same time, each on their own, full-sized screen. Something developers cannot do as of yet. It could also, somehow, be almost like a "splitscreen" multiplayer game.

I'm up for the multiplayer games! Very Happy
rank 4
Posted:
Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:31 pm
quote : #12
maybe its a game boy with an anolouge stick and its for games that suport connectivity like wind waker and crystal chronicles. justa thought......... but it wouldn't surprise me, considerig all there other hair brined schemes.

mr.bigG20
rank 4
Posted:
Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:26 pm
quote : #13
I think it is a good idea to have two screens but i am having a hard time trying to imagine how it will really look like.

satoshi
rank 23
Posted:
Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:35 pm
quote : #14
eyenhander wrote:
maybe its a game boy with an anolouge stick and its for games that suport connectivity like wind waker and crystal chronicles. justa thought......... but it wouldn't surprise me, considerig all there other hair brined schemes.

No, it's a brand new system, not quite sure how it's a "third piller" yet, but it's not a gameboy of any sort... I'm sure that there WILL be GC games that can take advantage of it in the same way that GC games already do with the GBA. Will it require a different cord though, I certaintly hope not (still gotta grab two more for FF:CC..)

BTW, nice avatar eyenhander. Chrono Trigger owns all.
Posted:
Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:59 pm
quote : #15
thx for the nod to my avatar but all props goto zeiram wing for putting it together. ya i didnt read the info when i posted i just posted on impulse......... sorry 'bout that. but now that i read it i find myself thinking (shudders) if this thing is gonna have two screens then it would stand to reason that they will HAVE to have two different things on each screen. i cant really fathom how this will work and for me anyways thats either a sign of inovation or a flop. i hate to see the big N tank another system :i.e virtual boy. but this just sounds too wierd. its kinda reminding me of the controller they sold for steel battalion, ya know? interesting concept but abit out there if ya know what i mean.