Page Location: Home > General Online > Topic
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:42 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I have been thinking over and over and over again how to deal with the whole, timesplitters map issue. Do we post user created maps....do we hold a contest or tournament for it or something....I jsut don't know what to do. The main problem is...barely anyone here or at the PS2 site has a transfer cable of somesort for the cube or ps2.

SO I thought of a damn fucking good idea. We release official onlineconsoles map packs. User created maps submitted by hardcore TS2 map makers. We work together as a community....a joint effort between the ps2 and gc timesplitters 2 owners. Now this would be a more serious project. Meaning hardwork to make a solid map pack. I was thinking 9-15 maps. We could do them over time if you guys wanted like...Vol.1 Vol.2 etc etc.

It would give us some motivation to not just make random maps, but damn fucking good maps that are fun to actually play through. So we would be screening only the best, the cream of the crop.

Personally I think this project might actually jumpstart serious community interest because it would definatly give us something to sink our teeth into. Making something as a community together, and having it be an official packaged release. Other map/mod maker sites release their own map packs and official releases. We could release our own and place a mark on the TS2 community. Creating a serious map expansion pack for the game putting SERIOUS thought into the maps, testing them in realtime gaming situations and having others comment on the overall map design.

What do you guys think?
rank 38
Posted:
Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:27 pm
quote : #2
That sounds like a great idea.

I've really been advancing with my mapmaking skills(ie. making game logic work properly in story mode maps)

But i have no acces to anything that would allow me to get my maps onto my computer Sad
Posted:
Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:48 pm
quote : #3
Well, basically the best system for doing this with regular multi-player maps is to create primers. Users can follow a setup blueprint and re-create the map in their game. We would bundle all the blueprints together. Basically like an instructions set for them to build the map themselves. Then anybody can aquire and play the map, regardless of it being ps2 or gc.

I already have a tiles set, but if we need anything else, I can just photoshop all the items together hell i might even make a downloadable exe. I know someone already has a website for this in flash. However I could make an exe using shockwave and program the entire thing. Hmmm I could do it in flash also. basically people could then make the map in the game then recreate it using a flash gui i make and then hit print screen on their keyboards...paste the screen cap into mspaint and viola.

The problem comes in...when people are working on story mode games. This is where a user would...get spoilers...well the whole thing gets spoiled. For story driven creations we would definatly want to host these as actual files so anyone who wished to play them would get to play it in it's purity. For this you would need a USB memory card. They run about 30-40 bux.
rank 38
Posted:
Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:54 pm
quote : #4
Oh i see, sounds cool. I might buy a USB for that and Mario Kart ghosts
Posted:
Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:37 pm
quote : #5
McRing_Ring wrote:

I've really been advancing with my mapmaking skills(ie. making game logic work properly in story mode maps)

But i have no acces to anything that would allow me to get my maps onto my computer Sad

Well, if you have a router, a BBA, and PSO, you can upload/download memcard files from your PC via GCS and PSOLoad/PSUL. It's a bit tricky to set up at first, but it costs much less than the USB memory card (assuming you already have all of the stuff).
Posted:
Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:02 am
quote : #6
satoshi wrote:
McRing_Ring wrote:

Well, if you have a router, a BBA, and PSO, you can upload/download memcard files from your PC via GCS and PSOLoad/PSUL. It's a bit tricky to set up at first, but it costs much less than the USB memory card (assuming you already have all of the stuff).

Satoshi, if you want to make a step by step tutorial for this. And I do mean to the letter ste by step so people don't get confused, I would be more than happy to toss it up in the guides. With you as the author of course. Also you need an official nintendo memory card for that correct? 3rd party mems don't work i heard.
rank 23
Posted:
Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:07 am
quote : #7
lordnikon wrote:
satoshi wrote:
McRing_Ring wrote:

Satoshi, if you want to make a step by step tutorial for this. And I do mean to the letter ste by step so people don't get confused, I would be more than happy to toss it up in the guides. With you as the author of course. Also you need an official nintendo memory card for that correct? 3rd party mems don't work i heard.

Yea, only 1st party mem cards work, and I'll get around to the tutorial, eventually. Been kinda busy recently, probably will be for a bit too.. But I'll get around to it sometime this week.
Posted:
Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:19 am
quote : #8
Word no problem. I am going to give us plenty of creativity time on this project :] No deadline really. Basically we all work together and collaborate. We talk about the map building on the console forum in which we are designing maps on. And I can relay info back and forth between sites. Or users can if they are registered at both sites.

So at your liesure satoshi :]
rank 25
Posted:
Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:38 pm
quote : #9
This is gonna be great.....I love making TS2 maps...and it will be great to see other people's maps...can't wait!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:33 pm
quote : #10
Yea feel free to get started. I think I might even make a forum dedicated to the subject as well so people can start collaborating. I don't know why I didn't think of setting up a forum devoted to timesplitters 2 map dev sooner. I'll add it later, ina bout a week or so. Till then feel free to get started.