Page Location: Home > GameCube Lounge > Topic
Previous  1, 2
Nine
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:16 pm
quote : #16
profile : pm
I am considering buying this game, it seems like a great offline multiplayer! As many of you already know - Secret of Mana is one of my all time favorite games. I have heard many comparisons of these two games and it entices me to go out and spend the money (I dont have btw) on Crystal Chronicles.

Only thing is, Im buying PSO episode 3 and Metal Gear Twin Snakes soon. I never thought I would say this, but there are just too many AAA games coming out now, not really - lol - but I will probaly be playing my gamecube well into the next generation of consoles judging the stockpile of great games expanding the GCN library.

DS: MPH: Team Battle Anyone?, Tetris, Worms, AC
PS2: Monster Hunter!
Dark Slayer 5000
rank 10
Posted:
Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:16 pm
quote : #17
I hear ya. This is going to be Nintendo's year! Very Happy

Lunar Eclipse
rank 24
Posted:
Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:54 pm
quote : #18
Secret of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 2) and its sequel Seiken Densetsu 3 are two of my all time favorites and this game is very similar to it. The major improvement over the SoM series is that you can now cast magic without pausing the action on screen. Maybe this game would have been less criticized had it been named Seiken Densetsu, but I suppose the Final Fantasy name sells better. In fact, I almost think of it as a Seiken Densetsu because as we all know, Final Fantasy Adventure for the Gameboy is a misnomer and is actually Seiken Densetsu 1. I think of Crystal Chronicles as a similar case and therefore am not at all disappointed by it.

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." (Winston Churchill)
Nine
rank 9
Posted:
Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:19 pm
quote : #19
I rented it! It is very fun on multiplayer, it took a little while to get the other link cable i needed (sold out) but my friend and I are playing it a lot since yesterday! It has some very cool quirks to it. I like the attack system! I have to play some more to get a full impression on it though. Here I go...

TheMytho
rank 15
Posted:
Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:45 pm
quote : #20
Type: NTSC-U/C
I'm going to rent this over the weekend along with Champions of Norrath for PS2. I'll get a friend to come over so we can play.

I almost forgot to ask this, but here I go. When your playing multiplayer with 1-2 other people, does the game fill in the empty slots with computer players?

-Mytho

Nine
rank 9
Posted:
Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:39 am
quote : #21
TheMytho wrote:
I almost forgot to ask this, but here I go. When your playing multiplayer with 1-2 other people, does the game fill in the empty slots with computer players?

Sadly, no.

Lunar Eclipse
rank 24
Posted:
Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:26 am
quote : #22
Well, at least there is no crappy AI to worry about that way.

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." (Winston Churchill)
Nine
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:53 am
quote : #23
Die5x (From PSO - Wink ) and I have progressed partly into year number three. We are continuing are relentless onslaught and fighting with power and steel! I have to say this is a ONE OF A TIME experience in a video game! Forget anything negative you might of heard from a review, in multiplayer mode this game KILLS! So far it seems the depth and replay will be amazing, I have decided I will have to buy this game at some point, and it actually makes me want to buy soem more GBA's too.

This is a shining example of what the future of connectivity will be. Amazing interaction, great GBA/GCN gameplay simultaneously, and just so much more. Until I do get it, I only have it on rental for two more days.

Into Glory Ride...

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:44 am
quote : #24
Yea at first I was realy freakin skeptical about why they did this and somewhat angry. Now I have been reading that with RPG's this poses a really huge problem. PS2 Champions of Norrath players who have been multi-tapping offline have complained that everyone has to pause the game, and to manage items. It gets in the way.

Allowing users to use GBA SP's, with FF:CC is almost like a LAN if you think about it, just instead of 4 tv sets and 4 cubes, you have 1 large screen that everone shares and then then the personal gba sps to manage personal information on their screen. Rather inventive...even if the hardware cost can be too much for some that don't have the friends or redily available gba sp's.

Pretty damn kool.
rank 24
Posted:
Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:57 am
quote : #25
It is a well implemented system that feels great if you have the hardware. I just wish that more people had the cash and could experience the multiplayer portion of FF:CC. This is one of the best co-op multiplayer experiences that I've ever had.

halo17x
rank 1
Posted:
Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:26 pm
quote : #26
My first post...

Of all the 1 screen multiplayer games, this is one of the best! good co-op games are few and far between, like SoM.

the experience is great when you're trying to fight a boss together.

"Move the bucket closer!"
"Use cure, i'm dying here!"
"Get your timing right, or i'm not getting a bonus"
"3-2-1-release. Damn, u did it too early again!"
"I wasn't expecting the combined attack to do this..."
"Hey, I've already done half damage while you're still waiting for an 'oportune time'"
"You still can't get the menu system straight? too late now."
"You're not letting me pick anything up!"
"I'm sorry, was that item for you?"

Multiplayer mode is so immersive and makes for a great experience!
Definitely worth it for co-op mode.

Dark Slayer 5000
rank 10
Posted:
Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:48 pm
quote : #27
OMG, you said it right on the money Very Happy . Especially the "3-2-1-release. Damn, u did it too early again!" part.

TheMytho
rank 15
Posted:
Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:10 am
quote : #28
I rented Final Fantasy and a friend and I played co-op. Was a little dissapointed in this game.

Nothing seemed to click in the same way like PSO or Balder's Gate. I came in expecting the start of a exciting new Square series, and exited thinking all the time spent making those neat special effects could of been more wisely spent studing the competition's games. (Snowblind's awesome Balder's Gate and Champions of Norrath). The GBA interface was too awkward for me. I would of opted for a transparent map of the area ala Diablo II than having to look down at my GBA screen. Honestly, I would rather use the controler than the Game Boy. In Dark Alliance, what my friend and I would do is just make trips back up to the tavern to sell our belongings every twenty minutes or so. It hardly bothered me. Having to wait for my friend to get out of the GBA menu in Crystal Chronicles greatly annoyed me more than Balder's Gate. Oh man, don't even get me STARTED with the bucket..... Twisted Evil They hurt the gameplay for the sake of the story on that one. Why not just have the characters be blessed with charms that repel the misma or have a natural immunity to it? To me, that wouldn't hinder the story and it would only help the gameplay.

I would give it a 7 overall. Nice effort, but I would of rather had FFXI for Cube than this. I'm just happy I didn't blow $50 on this. Thank you Blockbuster. Now, I'll go back to playing True Crime.

-Mytho

Posted Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:08 pm:

Did I scare everybody just because my opinion was different? I'm sorry, but not everyone is going to like the game. Confused

-Mytho