Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:48 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
On a gamefaqs.com board, I found some awesome pictures:

http://membres.lycos.fr/guildecow/no/Nintendonline.jpg

http://membres.lycos.fr/guildecow/no/No1.jpg

Quote:
Everyone wants Gamecube to support online gaming, but the Japanese company firmly refused to appease players and only allowed local area network gaming. Analysts thus predicted a death sentece, but with the success of Playstation Online, could you really blame them for predicting this? However, perhaps in part to spur sales of the GC, Nintendo is ready to show off their new plans at E3... ahead of the presentation of their new portable.

Nintendo of America is creating an online service to use with the broadband adapter. Not having any real experience in the networking field, they made an agreement with Gamespy which has many years experience in centralized servers used to join players for games on the Internet. Logitech, an unexpected 3rd player in this venture, will supplement the accessories used for communication. The result of this surprising triple alliance has been seen before with Xbox Live!...and it will have some things similar to Xbox Live.

The headset is like the Wavebird in that it is free from wires. The options are very close to Microsoft's service...it will be possible to have a list of friends, take part in vocal chats, or look up player's records. Some things are different from Microsoft's service. A large asset to Nintendo's online servce (which doesn't have an official name yet) will be the ability to play current LAN anabled games via <Tunneling> (well known to do-it-yourself'ers). This will give developers a way to offer an online mode for a lower cost and it would seem that Ubi Soft will be the first to use this online mode with the next Rainbow 6 and Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow. There is a slight possibility that you could use the GBA Player with this service as well. It would be then possible to simulate a GBA-link and play on the internet...practical for Pokemon games.

It's odd that Nintendo seems to have changed their opinion suddenly, especially since the Gamecube is near the end of its life and the N5 being around the corner. Perhaps this service will play a larger role for future generations? In any case, people will greet the effort of this new service. We will, however, need to wait until E3 to see the definitive version on Nintendo online....to know the pricing policy and especially if there are Killer Apps for the service on the way (Pokemon Online has been a rumor that keeps popping up, and Mario 128 could be a candidate).

Post your thoughts.

-Mytho

McRing_Ring
rank 38
Posted:
Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:59 pm
quote : #2
Thats unexpecting... but great, i wonder what it'll cost though
Posted:
Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:33 pm
quote : #3
Mytho beat me to it, here are a few parts you missed:

Caption Text:

At the time of DICE, Nintendo has led us to think that online is not in their agenda,
but we announce a change pre-E3. Is it still time for a revolution?
A simple interface, but functional.
Will Zelda Four Swords be playable online? A mystery.
The Logitech headset is ergonomic and it's undeniable that it will be wireless
Mario Kart Double Dash!! will finally leave the ghetto(?) that are LAN parties!

Blue bubble text:

"Ubi Soft doesn't seem to be the only company ready to support Nintendo online. A young company called Level of Detail
will have an 4-player adventure game in the same vein as FF:CC but with real-time combat. Watch out Zelda-4 Swords!"

The following is a blurb and some images of a title supposedly for GC online titled Light in the Darkness
http://membres.lycos.fr/guildecow/no/No4.jpg

http://www.lodsoft.com/images_jeu/24.jpg

http://www.lodsoft.com/images_jeu/25.jpg

http://www.lodsoft.com/images_jeu/14.jpg

Sure we need to ALL take this lightly atm, however with the somewhat shakey ground Nintendo has seemingly been on lately this has me leaning more towards being a reality. All of the hype Nintendo built about a new product only to unleash some dual LCD DS just isnt going to cut it IMO. I feel there is much more to it, and they talked about perephials and other new things to come and my hope is for what we see here, that headset is too pimp. Also I think Nintendo sees that if they arent going to do online service others are more or less forcing them with things like warp pipe etc... and that article stating that Nintendo would work with gamespy is very realistic. The only thing is this is in a French mag and the possibilities that they are pulling a april fools on us americans is a possibility that cant be ruled out yet. I cant wait to hear if there is any bit of truth to this, who knows, could be part of the reason for the Pandora Tomorrow delay. Heres to hope Wink

TheMytho
rank 15
Posted:
Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:10 pm
quote : #4
Light in the Darknaess looks good so far. When is the release date?

What I wondering is if Nintendo will release the online software in a kit with a headset and game like Microsoft, or if you will buy the headset and the game contains online software?

-Mytho

Last edited by TheMytho on Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

DarkLink
rank 25
Posted:
Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:10 pm
quote : #5
Hmmm.....this sounds too good to be true....April Fools is upon us!!!!!!!
I smell something bad.....If I'm wrong(hopefully I am) this is gonna be a great for Nintendo and could bring more ways to entertain us gamers... Smile Smile

martianviking
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:16 pm
quote : #6
It really does look too good to be true. An official Nintendo version of Warp Pipe would be wonderful, but it just seems - as we said - too good to be true...
Kontact
rank 5
Posted:
Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:31 pm
quote : #7
TheMytho wrote:
Light in the Darknaess looks good so far. When is the release date?

What I wondering is if Nintendo will release the online software in a kit with a headset and game like Microsoft, or if you will buy the headset and the game contains online software?

-Mytho

whoa slow down guy Wink

lets get some sort of confirmation first, which to be honest we have to be VERY optimistic, truly sucks thats its April Fools time. Then again, the april fools could be that this was only released in a French mag to start the hype and also leave people thinking its a joke. Then the big joke being that come E3 Nintendo truly will release these plans and unleash the madness Exclamation

satoshi
rank 23
Posted:
Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:33 pm
quote : #8
DarkLink18 wrote:
I smell something bad.....If I'm wrong(hopefully I am) this is gonna be a great for Nintendo and could bring more ways to entertain us gamers... Smile Smile

April Fools indeed, there's already been a thread about this on N-Philes and it has been proven false (::cries:Smile

Link:
http://forums.n-philes.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28026&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

::cries some more::
Posted:
Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:07 pm
quote : #9
satoshi wrote:
DarkLink18 wrote:

April Fools indeed, there's already been a thread about this on N-Philes and it has been proven false (::cries:Smile

Link:
http://forums.n-philes.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28026&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

::cries some more::

Meh, they still havent proven it false IMO. However yes, I feel that much more sure that its not real. They are doing just as good a job of proving it fake as the mag did making it seem real, so it becomes who do you believe? Personally I believe neither but have to lean towards the false side of things unfortunately Sad

Either way someone should send all this drama to Nintendo, I mean the ideas in that article are perfect; working with Gamespy, that logitech headset?? all these things could be a reality which is truly truly sad. There is no excuse on Nintendos part for not making this a reality. Joke or not it was cool to see what a layout for the online model could consist of and again if its a joke they have some great ideas for the model and platform.

DarkLink
rank 25
Posted:
Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:28 pm
quote : #10
Check out the Andy dude!!!!!
He looks like that guy from Xbox game Munch's Oddysey.....come to think of it tha Zantof guy looks like the guy in a screen that I saw for a game (Xbox)...Fable I believe tha name of the game changed...sry but I'm a Xbox noob... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Link00seven
rank 18
Posted:
Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:39 pm
quote : #11
3 words:

About. Fucking. Time!

Go Nintendo! I'm really really interested in this Cool

EDIT: OK. not a funny april fools joke. I know offically hate you all Mad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil

McRing_Ring
rank 38
Posted:
Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:42 pm
quote : #12
Linkooseven wrote:
3 words:

About. Fucking. Time!

Go Nintendo! I'm really really interested in this Cool

EDIT: OK. not a funny april fools joke. I know offically hate you all Mad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil

yeah not funny, the people that wrote this should be... doing something good
Posted:
Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:01 am
quote : #13
Ill wait till i hear official news on this.
rank 6
Posted:
Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:15 am
quote : #14
this sounds awesome....gamecube live...cant wait...lol i hope its official and for gods sake its about damn time

Dark Slayer 5000
rank 10
Posted:
Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:24 am
quote : #15
lordnikon wrote:
Ill wait till i hear official news on this.

That's the best thing to do. Guys, I wouldn't hold your breath if I were you. Sad