Page Location: Home > GameCube Lounge > Topic
1, 2  Next
martianviking
rank 9
Posted:
Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:41 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Like the title says, I'd like to know what I should say if I wanted to refer to more than one Nintendo system. Just wondering...

Nintendos? Nintendoes? Nintendoe?
Dark Slayer 5000
rank 10
Posted:
Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:34 am
quote : #2
Ha ha ha... This is where I come in, I'm an English teacher. Very Happy. Nintendo used in the plural tense would be "Nintendos". If you had it as "Nintendo's" that would be either possessive or a contraction of "Nintendo is". So if I said, "I have three Nintendos."; referring to my NES, N64, and GC, then that would be the correct way to say it.

martianviking
rank 9
Posted:
Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:43 am
quote : #3
I see. Nice collection of Nintendos. Smile

Where's your SNES love, though?
Dark Slayer 5000
rank 10
Posted:
Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:03 pm
quote : #4
Oh, I have an SNES, it was just a sentence example for you. In my own personal opinon, the SNES was the greatest console ever made. Very Happy

DarkLink
rank 25
Posted:
Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:35 am
quote : #5
I know this is off topic but since DarkSlayer is an english teacher I tohught of asking this....whats the correct way of writing this....is it ketchup or catsup...???
I've seen it as catsup a couple of times......

martianviking
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:36 pm
quote : #6
DarkLink18 wrote:
I know this is off topic but since DarkSlayer is an english teacher I tohught of asking this....whats the correct way of writing this....is it ketchup or catsup...???

That one I can help you with.

I think they're both acceptable, along with "catchup" as an approved third spelling. Check this out:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=ketchup
satoshi
rank 23
Posted:
Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:06 pm
quote : #7
Catchup? Wha!?
Posted:
Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:40 pm
quote : #8
DarkLink18 wrote:

They are the same. That is what you could call a synonym, or two words that are spelt differently but have the same meaning. You guys can hit me up with a PM if you need English help Very Happy.

satoshi
rank 23
Posted:
Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:51 pm
quote : #9
Dark Slayer 5000 wrote:
DarkLink18 wrote:

They are the same. That is what you could call a synonym, or two words that are spelt differently but have the same meaning. You guys can hit me up with a PM if you need English help Very Happy.

Where do you teach? A high school? or what? Wouldn't it be freaky if one of your students saw you online. I'd be scared if I had been unknowingly talking to one of my teachers on some gaming forums.
Posted:
Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:11 pm
quote : #10
satoshi wrote:
Where do you teach? A high school? or what? Wouldn't it be freaky if one of your students saw you online. I'd be scared if I had been unknowingly talking to one of my teachers on some gaming forums.

It's entirely possible. That's one of the interesting things about online communities; there is one thing that brings us together (in this case gaming), and nothing else really matters that much. We can be different ages, different nationalities, have different political beliefs, and we can still be a part of the same community and all enjoy it.

But I admit, it would be a little strange for a high school teacher and student to be conversing on a forum as equals and then find out that they knew each other. Fine, but still strange.
Dark Slayer 5000
rank 10
Posted:
Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:23 pm
quote : #11
LOL.. I teach high school English for 9th and 10th grade in Oklahoma City Public Schools. This is my first year so it's been a little interesting. I'm only 24 years old, so I still have that tendency to be like, "damn, she's hot." I have to keep those thoughts to myself though. Very Happy

satoshi
rank 23
Posted:
Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:16 pm
quote : #12
Dark Slayer 5000 wrote:
LOL.. I teach high school English for 9th and 10th grade in Oklahoma City Public Schools. This is my first year so it's been a little interesting. I'm only 24 years old, so I still have that tendency to be like, "damn, she's hot." I have to keep those thoughts to myself though. Very Happy

Shocked I never thought I'd hear a teacher say that about one of their students, but I've always suspected they may be thinking that...
Posted:
Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:21 pm
quote : #13
It's normal. It's the old unmarried male freshmen teachers that you need to watch out for. lol Very Happy I'm cool though; I let my students play their GBA's in class if they have their work done.

satoshi
rank 23
Posted:
Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:01 pm
quote : #14
Dark Slayer 5000 wrote:
It's normal. It's the old unmarried male freshmen teachers that you need to watch out for. lol Very Happy I'm cool though; I let my students play their GBA's in class if they have their work done.

Nice, I wish I had a teacher like you. Good thing I'm a dude too... Confused
Posted:
Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:20 pm
quote : #15
satoshi wrote:
Dark Slayer 5000 wrote:

Nice, I wish I had a teacher like you. Good thing I'm a dude too... Confused

Why thank you. Very Happy