Previous  1, 2
martianviking
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:08 am
quote : #16
profile : pm
Dark Slayer 5000 wrote:
It's normal. It's the old unmarried male freshmen teachers that you need to watch out for. lol Very Happy I'm cool though; I let my students play their GBA's in class if they have their work done.

Absolutely. Most ordinary people will look up and notice that sort of thing now and then. I am also in my mid-twenties and I also have the occasion to work with high-school age people from time to time.

If you happen to look up and notice someone way younger than you, that is normal. It's not out of place so long as you recognize it for what it is, get right back to what you were doing, and don't dwell on it. What gets people in trouble (I've seen it) is when they keep thinking about it and it gets ingrained in their head. Someone in that sort of position cannot allow any idea or any person to become an obsession or it's going to get them in trouble. (Even if they don't do something patently "wrong," enough inappropriate thought will probably eventually "show through" that someone will notice, and at the very least, someone will likely be made to feel threatened.)

I think you're probably just fine. Actually, your story just reminded me that I used to have a high school teacher that would let us play "Scorched Earth" (sort of a predecessor to Worms) on the crappy old (even for that time) IBM PS/2 computers in the back of the class (if we had our work done, of course). Good times, those. Very Happy
Dark Slayer 5000
rank 10
Posted:
Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:43 am
quote : #17
martianviking, thanks for backing me Very Happy. I'm at school right now in the break room so I still have another 4 hours ahead of me Sad. I have to gripe at the next class because they did poor on a spelling test. lol

Note: I remember Scorched Earth, it was a fun game. Smile

satoshi
rank 23
Posted:
Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:48 pm
quote : #18
Dark Slayer 5000 wrote:
Note: I remember Scorched Earth, it was a fun game. Smile

So THAT'S what it was called! I remember that game! My dad had a copy of it way back when, on our old 486. Ah, I loved that game. Haha, did bad on a spelling test. Reminds me of my classmates... Though, since I'm in Honors English they aren't really bad students or anything, but my geometry class is awful, so is my web page dev. class...
Posted:
Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:24 pm
quote : #19
Yea, I loved blowing up those little tanks with nukes, those were the days. Wolfenstine 3D was amazing (at the time) too. That was back in 1994 though, so that shows my age. lol

Teitoku
rank 1
Posted:
Sun May 16, 2004 12:15 am
quote : #20
Dark Slayer 5000 wrote:
Ha ha ha... This is where I come in, I'm an English teacher. Very Happy. Nintendo used in the plural tense would be "Nintendos". If you had it as "Nintendo's" that would be either possessive or a contraction of "Nintendo is". So if I said, "I have three Nintendos."; referring to my NES, N64, and GC, then that would be the correct way to say it.

Astounding...except that Nintendo is not English. It's Japanese.
The plural of nintendo is nintendo.

The Japanese would simply use a counting suffix on the number, then the word "nintendo."

Dark Slayer 5000
rank 10
Posted:
Sun May 16, 2004 11:46 am
quote : #21
Teitoku wrote:
Dark Slayer 5000 wrote:
Ha ha ha... This is where I come in, I'm an English teacher. Very Happy. Nintendo used in the plural tense would be "Nintendos". If you had it as "Nintendo's" that would be either possessive or a contraction of "Nintendo is". So if I said, "I have three Nintendos."; referring to my NES, N64, and GC, then that would be the correct way to say it.

Astounding...except that Nintendo is not English. It's Japanese.
The plural of nintendo is nintendo.

The Japanese would simply use a counting suffix on the number, then the word "nintendo."

True, but I will have to correct you on this one. It means "bring a light to heaven" in Japanese if I remember correctly; but if you want to use it in an English sentence, then you will have to use it in the plural form as Nintendos so it's independent participle can be viewed as a proper noun. See, Nintendo is a Japanese word written in the English language, therefore it has to be treated as an English word, it's just common sense. If I say, "I have three Nintendo in my room", that makes no sense so it has to be treated correctly like all other English words. But If I were to say, "I have three Nintendo brand systems in my room", then that would make sense. But the main struggle is when "Nintendo" is used in a plural form with the help of "brand system" joining it in its independent clause and that is how it is . In this is what we were discussing, how to use Nintendo as a stand alone word to direct one object to another. Again, it's just common sense. Very Happy

lanzarlaluna
rank 5
Posted:
Mon May 17, 2004 12:40 am
quote : #22
Thank God for my Bachelor's in English. And what the fuck is up with the extreme use of color for every significant term in this thread?

Grammar nerds, UNITE! Together we will commence a renaissance of competent communication! (That was some phat alliteration, yo!)

Teitoku
rank 1
Posted:
Tue May 18, 2004 1:59 pm
quote : #23
Uh huh, common sense would also give you such plurals as mouses and foots.
The plural of Nintendo is Nintendo.