Page Location: Home > Archive - News > Topic
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Sun May 23, 2004 11:18 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
On Sat May 22nd a new online console tunneling service hit the internet. Formerly of Xbox fame, XLink developers have created an all new iteration of their tunneling software providing an integrated console tunneling network by the name of 'XLink Kai: Evolution VII'. The GameCube is supported(as well as PS2 and XB). The GC tunneling code is completly new. XLink coded brand new code for the GameCube, this is not based in ANY way off of warppipe. So far form those I have spoken to they say it runs smooth-er than warppipe. However the cube is still very location dependent.

Features:
- Supports LAN enabled games
- Multi-console compatible
- 2 gaming modes (Messenger and Arena)
- Integrated chat in all areas
- Trusted clan and tournament / ladder arenas
- No port-forwarding required on almost all network setups
- Compatible with wireless networks (not all wireless network setups)
- Network connection monitor/s
- Superior compression algorithms for less lag
- Auto-update notifications

XLink is managed and hosted by the XLink development team. You must log into their network in order to use Kai7. Many of you might be frustrated by this lack of control. However I brought this up with the developers and they stated that, if XLink team ever ceases to support the XLink tunneling service...they would make arrangements for a user to user run tunneler. So this is fantastic news. And it proves XLink are not just concerned about getting attention for their software by making it a centralized system, however it's proof they are thinking about the gamers.

The following GameCube games are officially supported at this time:

Mario Kart Double Dash!!
Kirby Air Ride
1080 Avalanche

I have yet to test this software successfully yet. Finding GameCube gamers on there is somewhat difficult at the moment. However finding them here at OC is very easy :] So I'm sure we'll be testing this regularly over the next few days.

Please register here:
http://www.teamxlink.co.uk
(You probobly won't recieve an email, so kinda have to wait it out a bit after you have registered before you can successfully login.)

Please download the client here:
http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/downloads.php
(Config Tip: run the Kai7 config tool, leave both 'port' and 'deep port' left as 0. Where it says 'Accept UI Connections From', select Any IP Address from the pulldown box. If your behind a router, then forward port 30000 for the IP your PC uses. This should get you up and running with no problems)

Use the scheduler and game organization forum to schedule some meetings. Post how successfull it is for you. I look forward to some awsome testing in the next few days. This is a big deal for Cube gamers especially, because warppipe really only works well in very rare scenarios.

Last edited by lordnikon on Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
banned!
Posted:
Tue May 25, 2004 4:13 pm
quote : #2
So, to "tunnel" a game you have to use a PC? I have an XBOX but no computer and would like to play online some before i spend the money on XBOX LIVE. It sounds like you have to use a PC to download the software from these guys..

satoshi
rank 23
Posted:
Tue May 25, 2004 4:41 pm
quote : #3
freshcut_t70 wrote:
So, to "tunnel" a game you have to use a PC? I have an XBOX but no computer and would like to play online some before i spend the money on XBOX LIVE. It sounds like you have to use a PC to download the software from these guys..

Yea, you need the computer to run the software.

May I ask... how're you posting without a computer..?
Posted:
Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:26 am
quote : #4
High = 128 to 256kbps upload bandwidth recommended on a Cable / ADSL / DSL connection.
this goes for all gamecube games, sounds kinda slow. anyone got this upload speed?