rank 4
Posted:
Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:36 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hi...
*looks around scared*
My name is Apple.

I just managed to convince other members of my family to get GameCube, enough controllers for full multiplayer, and 2 extra games in addition to the Metroid stuff. I didn't even have to buy anything. I currently have Super Monkey Ball (quite cool and right up my alley), Animal Crossing (I've only watched my brother play and it looks like the type of game that once you get into you waste a lot of time just playing), and Metroid Prime (which I'm looking forward to playing in a few minutes.)

Any suggested (cheap, multiplayer) games for the Cube? I might get PSO, but only play offline multiplayer.

Also, are there component and optical cables available? I didn't look too hard, but I'm a sucker for good quality.

I hear tunnel GC games doesn't work too well? Alas. I guess I won't be searching for a BB adapter then.

I'm sitting here thinking, should I have purchased StarFox today? I want Super Smash Brothers Melee at some point as well.

Uh...

Thanks for listening to me ramble. See you at the PS2 section.

satoshi
rank 23
Posted:
Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:01 pm
quote : #2
THe current starfox is more zelda-esque, i haven't played it yet though... Super Smash Bros. Melee, on the other hand, is an EXTREMELY good game. It has sooo much depth and you won't get tired of it for a long time. My brother and I played that game for a year non-stop, back when we got our 'cube in 2001, we STILL haven't acquired everything (mostly trophies now). There are component cables, but I'd suggest getting official nintendo cables. They can be ordered from nintendo's online store, of which I do not know the URL.
Posted:
Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:07 pm
quote : #3
With PSO+ coming out in a week or two for only $30 it's basically a must have. Since you'd only be playing offline(Although you might be sucked online) PSO+ will offer way more then regular PSO.

I don't know much about cables and stuff since i usually don't care too much about that
Posted:
Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:09 pm
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
Apple wrote:
Hi...
*looks around scared*
My name is Apple.

Welcome to the GC section. Smile

Apple wrote:
I just managed to convince other members of my family to get GameCube, enough controllers for full multiplayer, and 2 extra games in addition to the Metroid stuff. I didn't even have to buy anything.

Nice deal there.

Apple wrote:
I currently have Super Monkey Ball (quite cool and right up my alley), Animal Crossing (I've only watched my brother play and it looks like the type of game that once you get into you waste a lot of time just playing), and Metroid Prime (which I'm looking forward to playing in a few minutes.)

I have played all three games and must admit you have good taste.

If you ever get bored of SMB, the sequel can be found cheap ($20 new), and has more interesting mini-games to boot. This pretty much set the standard for party games, so this should last you for a while.

Animal Crossing is something you have to be patient with. You can get only so much accomplished in one day, but the customization is really great. If you own a GBA, you can hook it up to your GC (via the GBA-GC link cable) and visit a tropical island. Once you get into it, you'll have a blast.

Metroid Prime inspired me to buy a GameCube, which was no mean feat. Everything clicks in this sci-fi epic; from the atmosphere, music, to the gameplay, it is seamless. Hands down this is one of the best single-player game s I've ever played. Very Happy

Apple wrote:
Any suggested (cheap, multiplayer) games for the Cube? I might get PSO, but only play offline multiplayer.

Mystic Heroes was a fun co-op game in the vein of Dynasty Warriors. You can find Heroes in the bargain bin by now. It is by no means cheap, but if you can get all the necessary equipment, Zelda: Four Swords should not be missed. Mario Kart: Double Dash!! is also highly reccomended, but I don't forsee it getting a price reduction anytime soon.

Apple wrote:
Also, are there component and optical cables available? I didn't look too hard, but I'm a sucker for good quality.

I know Nintendo manufactures a S-Video and component cable. To the fullest extent of my knowledge, recent GameCubes had the component connection removed. My advice would be to get an universal S-Video adapter and use it for both your PS2 and GC.

Apple wrote:
I hear tunnel GC games doesn't work too well? Alas. I guess I won't be searching for a BB adapter then.

Supposedly the new version of WarpPipe has a faster frame-rate, but I have not tested it out. If your only going to be playing tunneled games with the BBA, then I think I'd pass unless I saw one for cheap.

Apple wrote:
I'm sitting here thinking, should I have purchased StarFox today? I want Super Smash Brothers Melee at some point as well.

You should be set for now Apple. I highly advise you rent Star Fox Adventures though. My friend and I really dispised that game, but another buddy of mine enjoyed it. Your next budget Nintendo single-player game should be Pikmin 1. It's a well-made game, and retails for a cool $20. If you could round up a bit more money though, I would look into the sequel to Pikmin or Zelda: Wind Waker.

I couldn't tell you much about SSB:M. I never really got into the whole Super Smash Brothers craze.

-Mytho

Apple
rank 4
Posted:
Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:34 pm
quote : #5
Thanks guys.

I was thinking about Pikmin as well. I had forgotten to mention it. I play the sequel in the store and was a little confused but started to learn the controls. I still have to decide what exactly I want since I don't really want to be spending a lot. I saw Mystic Heroes which said to me: 4-person Dynasty Warriors, which would be kind of ideal. I've played a little Metroid and the controls aren't really what I expected at all. It works though and is kind of like a mix of first- and third-person styles of play. As far as GBA compatability, it was the reason my brother (was convinced by me) to get it. He has an e-reader and just bought the link, so I'm set! I like the expandability. About the newer GC thing, mine has two ports in the back, one says digital and I'm guessing that's what you mean by component port?

Posted Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:34 pm:

Ah yes, one more thing. I can easilly rent StarFox this weekend. My sister (the Hollywood Video employee) will be around this weekend.

TheMytho
rank 15
Posted:
Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:42 pm
quote : #6
Type: NTSC-U/C
I thought the digital input was removed on newer GCs.... Guess that might of been for Japan. Ah well.

I'd suggest you rent whatever games your interested in and see how you like them, then base your buying decisions on your experience. It sucks spending $50 on a dud game. Confused

Before I forget, you should really check out Metal Arms. I know you asked me about it before, and now seems like a great time. Excellent game (especially the multiplayer), well-priced, what more could you want? Mr. Green

-Mytho

Dark Slayer 5000
rank 10
Posted:
Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:54 am
quote : #7
The digital video componet has been removed on the US gamecubes that are currently in production today, but Nintendo still sells RGB cables on their website.

Apple
rank 4
Posted:
Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:00 am
quote : #8
I played Metal Arms on PS2. It was cool, but only worth it if there's 4 players on GC. I don't usually spend $50 on a game anyway. I tend to max out at $20 except on special occassions. I was looking at my PS2 games today and since January I've spent about $200 on games. Shocked I spend way too much on impulse. Of course, that $200 was spent on about 10 games. I have maybe 15 games since Christmas from my brother's purchases, Christmas itself, etc. I think I've bought most of my games in the past year, but I don't play them all often though I suppose it all cycles. I should calm down on purchasing until I get the yearly round of gift money again, but I can't help but feel like there's a couple GC titles I should go out and buy, not to mention that I have an inexplicable tendency to buy cheap games for no real reason. I need a job. I spend too much.

martianviking
rank 9
Posted:
Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:06 pm
quote : #9
Yes, the DIGITAL A/V OUT port was removed on the newer GameCubes. If your cube only has an ANALOG A/V OUT port, you can't use the component cables. Read more here.

You can buy the Nintendo component cables for $30 here, or you can try eBay.

If you have a TV that can do "progressive scan" then it would be very worth your while to get yourself a set of the "component cables" for your GameCube. Almost every GameCube game supports progressive scan (480p). The GameCube doesn't out put true "HDTV" signals (720p or 1080i), but the 480p (progressive scan) picture it can do is really nice.

Regular NTSC signals, by the way, are standard resolution interlaced video (480i). If your TV only does interlaced video (480i), then you'll probably be fine with just s-video. One nice thing is that the "ANALOG" output plug is exactly the same as the one on the SNES and N64, so s-video cables for all three consoles are interchangeable (just as they are for the PlayStation and PS2). You will definitely appreciate s-video instead of regular comosite video (the single yellow video plug). But like I said, if you have a progressive scan TV, it's really worth it to get the component cable and a GameCube that can use it. Progressive scan looks pretty solid.
Apple
rank 4
Posted:
Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:45 pm
quote : #10
Well, contrary to what you're all saying, my Metroid Bundle came with a digital port. I think i'll look for component cables as I love my cables for PS2. Do the digital cables come with a way to do optical audio? If it did I think I'll need to get a system selector and daisy chain it with my reciever.

I don't think my TV is progressive scan, but the cables are still worth it to me. Having just gotten a really cheap SNES, the interchangeable cable thing is good news especially since I only have an RF for it.

satoshi
rank 23
Posted:
Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:06 pm
quote : #11
Apple wrote:
Well, contrary to what you're all saying, my Metroid Bundle came with a digital port. I think i'll look for component cables as I love my cables for PS2. Do the digital cables come with a way to do optical audio? If it did I think I'll need to get a system selector and daisy chain it with my reciever.

I don't think my TV is progressive scan, but the cables are still worth it to me. Having just gotten a really cheap SNES, the interchangeable cable thing is good news especially since I only have an RF for it.

The component cables go into the digital port on the gamecube, it's the A/V out port that's the same on the SNES and N64, not the digital one. As for optical audio, that's a no, sorry. The component cables plug into the digital port, it uses the audio from the standard A/V out cable that's supplied with your system.
Posted:
Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:37 pm
quote : #12
satoshi wrote:
The component cables go into the digital port on the gamecube, it's the A/V out port that's the same on the SNES and N64, not the digital one. As for optical audio, that's a no, sorry. The component cables plug into the digital port, it uses the audio from the standard A/V out cable that's supplied with your system.

Yes. To clarify:

The DIGITAL A/V port is used for one thing only: component video output (at either 480i or 480p). The only way to get audio from your cube is through the ANALOG A/V port. The DIGITAL A/V port outputs video using the component cable to three (all video) RCA plugs. It really isn't an "A/V" (audio/video) port at all, because it carries no audio signal. In reality, it's just a "V" (video) port. In that sense, it has a somewhat misleading label. (On a side note, component video is also sometimes called Y-Pb-Pr or Y-Cb-Cr.)

The ANALOG A/V port is the exact same port as on the SNES and N64 and can use the same cables. It outputs right/left stereo audio along with composite video and/or s-video. There are also RF modulators that fit this port and will allow it to output an RF audio/video signal (channel 3 or channel 4).

Again, the only way to get audio from your cube is through the ANALOG A/V port. You use the red and white RCA jacks to get the audio signal. There is no way to get Dolby Digital (aka "AC-3") 5.1 channel audio from your cube. That said, the GameCube actually can output a different 5.1 channel audio format (but only if the game you are playing supports it). It is called "Dolby Pro-Logic II" and it uses the normal red and white audio RCA cables to send an encoded 5.1 channel signal (right, left, center, rear right, rear left, plus subwoofer), just as the original "Dolby Pro-Logic" used the standard red and white audio cables to send an encoded 4-channel signal (right, left, center, combined rear). So, if your audio receiver can decode Dolby Pro-Logic II (not many of them do), then you can get 5.1 channel audio from your cube.

Why do I always talk so much?
Apple
rank 4
Posted:
Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:40 pm
quote : #13
Ya my reciever has ProLogic II, and I use optical out of my PS2 (which in most cases is overkill, but who can blame me?) that being said, it's kind of a bummer that there's no optical out, but at least I've got the Pro-Logic. I'm also accostumed to Component Cables from the same setup and usually don't like the quality without them. I'm not sure I want to go and purchase them.

On a side note: While playing Animal Crossing, it increasingly felt psuedo-online because of the real-time aspect of it. For example, my brother was practically waiting outside of Nook's Cranny for 10 minutes for it to open at 9 O'Clock. The train made me sad that this game doesn't have an online aspect for traveling to a friend's town. I was wondering if there is a sort of DexDrive or SharkPort for GameCube and if people use those to swap travel data for towns. It would be really fun visiting your towns and seeing the items in your house (posibly even trading items?) but since I haven't tried traveling, I'm not completely sure of the logistics of it or if that's possible. Anyone know?

martianviking
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:24 pm
quote : #14
Oh, you are definitely right on Animal Crossing needing online town-to-town travel.

If you can swap memory card data then you could visit towns online, because the memory card option on Animal Crossing does let you bring your whole town to another person's house. How well it works and how much equipment you'd need, I can't say.

And yeah, I've done the "waiting outside for the shop to open" thing. But have you ever got up early waiting for the fishing tournament to start? Smile
McRing_Ring
rank 38
Posted:
Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:34 pm
quote : #15
Animal Crossing DS may have online capabilities Very Happy