satoshi
rank 23
Posted:
Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:40 pm
quote : #4
profile : pm
Chile wrote:
ok. i guess they wanted piracy to be a lot harder Very Happy

It's a DVD through and through, doesn't make it any harder to pirate. Just look at the the DVD movie industry, the PS2, and the Xbox. They're all pirated, and they're (for the most part, some PS2 games come on CDs) all DVDs. The fact that it's hard to pirate GC games is because Nintendo has some barcode doohickey on the disc that people, almost three years later, still have no idea what exactly it does or what is contained in it.
Posted:
Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:41 am
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U/C
satoshi wrote:
Chile wrote:
ok. i guess they wanted piracy to be a lot harder Very Happy

It's a DVD through and through, doesn't make it any harder to pirate. Just look at the the DVD movie industry, the PS2, and the Xbox. They're all pirated, and they're (for the most part, some PS2 games come on CDs) all DVDs. The fact that it's hard to pirate GC games is because Nintendo has some barcode doohickey on the disc that people, almost three years later, still have no idea what exactly it does or what is contained in it.

Yep Nintendo got some smart people working on their technology Smile
rank 10
Posted:
Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:56 am
quote : #6
Exactly, the mini-dvd disc was a good idea for Nintendo to do, not only to attract more developers, but to cut down on the piaracy that was easy to aquire with their former cartridge format.

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:30 pm
quote : #7
Yea plus I LOVE the little discs. Seriously they ROCK. I love the feeling of poping them in and out of my cube. Plus I have these 'mini' cdr cases. So i have all my cube games in this mini stack of cases. So elite Razz Makes flipping through my games so easy. I hope nintendo continues to work with these mini formats. I love them.
rank 8
Posted:
Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:06 pm
quote : #8
i hope the revolution will feature bigger cd size, the system itself. So it will play music and dvd's etc.

Dark Slayer 5000
rank 10
Posted:
Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:25 pm
quote : #9
Yea, it would be nice to have more operations on their new console, but then again one of the reasons why Nintendo didn't do it on the GC is because they wanted to stick to games and games only. Also, the less moving parts in a machine "DVD" the faster it runs and loads - 405mhz GC vs. 300mhz PS2, for an example. Anyway, there are pros and cons for everything, and sacrifices have to be made to please the public, but not everone can be pleased. Confused

Chile
rank 8
Posted:
Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:23 pm
quote : #10
Here is the format for real:

1.5 Gigabyte Optical Discs

Dark Slayer 5000
rank 10
Posted:
Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:40 pm
quote : #11
yes, on a DVD rom. Very Happy

Chile
rank 8
Posted:
Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:09 pm
quote : #12
oh i know. that's the technical term i'm saying

satoshi
rank 23
Posted:
Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:48 pm
quote : #13
Dark Slayer 5000 wrote:
Yea, it would be nice to have more operations on their new console, but then again one of the reasons why Nintendo didn't do it on the GC is because they wanted to stick to games and games only. Also, the less moving parts in a machine "DVD" the faster it runs and loads - 405mhz GC vs. 300mhz PS2, for an example. Anyway, there are pros and cons for everything, and sacrifices have to be made to please the public, but not everone can be pleased. Confused

450mhz GC vs 300mhz PS2 is not an issue of moving parts, it's an issue of how cheap technology was at the time of development and how much they wanted to spend/how much power they needed. For example: My new micro-itx PC i'll be buying in a few months, maybe, will have NO moving parts, but it'll be hella slow compared to the machine I just bought, which has 5 fans (case fans, processor fan, power supply fan, graphics card fan). Moving parts do not change speed of a system. Though they do have a hand in the noise factor of the system.
Posted:
Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:13 am
quote : #14
*owned Laughing

Manji
rank 11
Posted:
Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:36 pm
quote : #15
i second the notion that the mini dvds are sweet little data crunching discs. nintendo made the right design choices on pretty much every level with the gamecube. regular cd and dvds are easily scratched, cracked or damaged and i'm sure nintendo wanted to bring the successful design philosophy behind cartridge-based software into the disc world. this would include things like minimal load times, a safety against piracy and better, more physically durable plastic compared to conventional cd/dvd (which is mostly due to the fact gamecube discs are diminutive in size).

plus i also remember reading somewhere nintendo felt it was an enviromentally friendly decision since smaller discs mean less raw material to consume during the manufacture.

you know they look like gigantic coins. i should make an arcade machine mod, where the gamecube disc fits inside the cabinet like a coin.