1, 2  Next
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:16 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
GameCube online enthusiasts at this point are all at the same conclusion that any "new" developments in GC online are a pipe dream.(hehehe get it?...pipe..dream.) Looking back, getting 3 LAN compatable games seems like a miracle, given Nintendo's overall outlook on using standard internet peripherals. The PSO Plus upgrade was indeed a special treat, specially with it hitting stateside. However, still, in the back of all our minds lingered a craving for 1 last game to top things off for the gamecube and it's network capabilities. We had 2 last remaining hopes. Two Online RPG's that were rumoured and reported at various E3's to be online for the gamecube, Ghouls and Ghosts Online and Homeland. Ghouls and Ghosts became an Xbox and PC only game.

This leaves us with Homeland. The game was reported at the last E3 to have online gameplay where a gamer is the central server and acts as the dungeon master allowing other Homeland gamers to connect to their gamecube. We hadn't heard any new information on Homeland since then. Many were assuming the game would get canceled or just drift off into obscurity. (Hell, I did.) The official website launched, and we got some new snazzy Homeland wallpapers. Other than this not much information has surfaced. Until now...

Let me be the first to tell you. Everything you have heard about Homeland thus far is 100% true. Watch this 3 minute Homeland video:
http://www.chunsoft.co.jp/game/homeland/dl/hl_digest.wmv

When the clip hits the 2 minute mark, thats when things start to get completly insane. I fell out of my chair almost. I literally screamed out "OH MY GOD, HOLY CRAP!"

The game can be played Online or Offline. Due to it's open network architecture, the game will be Broadband only. The maximum player count is said to be 35 players! Homeland holds no monthly cost to play online. The reason for this is, an individual gamer sets their GameCube up as the host server, and allows other gamecubes to connect to their server. Thus a company hosted server is not needed. Chunsoft wrote: "Because of that, the game online play fee such as month amount rating in order to play there is no necessity."(Translated by babelfish)

The game so far looks to be a Japan release only. There is ZERO evidence that this game would come stateside. But in the case of Homeland and the GameCube, is this a problem? No. It flatout doesn't matter. The Nintendo GameCube has the FreeLoader boot disc available which allows you to boot import games without modding your console. Also this game is online forever. The power is in the hands of the gamers themselves!! A central master server is not in control of the Publisher/Developer. Basically this game is being released with an independent network architecture.

The game is heavy on Japanese text, but also looks to be heavy on gameplay too. So if you don't know Japanese, it still looks like there is fun to be had with Homeland. Learning some Japanese to improve the gameplay experience in this case would be entirely logical. The game isn't going anywhere, so there would be no rush. It's online forever.

The only other drawback besides the language barrier, is the fact that the game doesn't support keyboards. It will have an on screen simple menu communication system or onscreen kb. Since the game is all in Japanese, I don't know how much we would be pounding away at our keyboards if they were even compatible.

Homeland is scheduled to release in Spring of 2005. With this much information now at our fingertips, and this game being a GC exclusive, it's pretty much a given that this game will be released. Just imagine, all you'll need to do is hop over to an import retail online store, and pickup a Freeloader disc and Homeland. Then be able to play the game online the instant you get it.

This concept just blows me away, since it will be the first 100% online game with no monthly fees available for the cube.

If your interested in hearing more, babelfish your way on over to the chunsoft official website to learn more about the game's battle system. Supposedly holding hands with teamates will result in more powerfull attacks. That's so awsome.

Last edited by lordnikon on Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:19 pm; edited 12 times in total
rank 7
Posted:
Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:04 pm
quote : #2
im right there with you.... i think this is the best thing to hit me since my girlfriend (actually she threw icecream on my car, but thats another story).

but back to the game, i know that an all jap. game can be fun even if you don't know the language. i have Dungen Dice Monsters for GBA and its Jap, and i have almost beat it 100%. so i think that i will definatly import this one...

so nikon.. would u play with me? Very Happy
DS-Advanced Wars 2, Feel The Magic
eMac- World of Warcraft
McRing_Ring
rank 38
Posted:
Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:03 pm
quote : #3
That is awesome, even if it never come stateside I will import, the lack of communication if I did have to import could easilly be works around as well.

Who knows, if Homeland is very successful than maybe Nintendo and 3rd party companies will catch on *wink nudge*

THis is a very good step in the right direction, not just GameCube online but online console gaming as a whole
Posted:
Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:14 pm
quote : #4
BB Adapter - $30?
FreeLoader disc - $10?
Import Homeland - $70?

All random guess numbers, but for the way the game looks, I think it would be only for me if it were stateside. Razz Though it would be fun to learn Japaneese.... It's just a "dungeon" RPG that looks like Animal Crossing? It's awesome that the Cube would get something like this and the network features sound awesome, but what's special about the game itself?

satoshi
rank 23
Posted:
Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:06 am
quote : #5
One thing that caught me right away: The music. The music is beautiful. I need an OST now. If the quality of the music tells me anything, this game will be AMAZING.
Posted:
Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:07 am
quote : #6
THAT IS AWESOME! I guess it will be my first import! And online forever.... Glorious!

When we play online though, we need to make who we are abvious, and keep it the same, like all this one kind of squiggly lines.
Konradshohe Lvl 21 (Skyly)
Lunar Eclipse
rank 24
Posted:
Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:14 pm
quote : #7
Homeland looks pretty cool, and while I'm not opposed to the idea of importing, a stateside release would be awesome. Honestly though, I actually still need a BBA. Laughing

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." (Winston Churchill)
mr.bigG20
rank 4
Posted:
Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:49 pm
quote : #8
The game looks really good and interesting, but I'll probably just get this one if it comes stateside....
The game really looks like Animal Crossing, but with more action and stuff into it and the music really sounds like something off LoZ:WW which I like alot. Very Happy Very Happy

Good thing I have my BBA already.... Mr. Green Mr. Green
Koiter (Hucast) lvl 20
Dante (Humar) lvl 32

Right now I'm raising my FO to Ultimate...
Apple
rank 4
Posted:
Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:31 pm
quote : #9
I thought of Animal Crossing too! The visual styles are pretty similar especially with that isometric view.

jpred88
rank 3
Posted:
Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:15 am
quote : #10
Shocked A new GC online game.

Great news Very Happy Will the game be released outside of Japan. I will still be getting a copy I can't wait.

Posted Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:34 am:

Seeing how much Japanese text is in the game I am not sure about getting it.
No keyboard support also means I have to understand a lot of text Sad

Lets hope a translation guide is released just after the game Twisted Evil
Posted:
Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:56 pm
quote : #11
Wow! Sounds/looks pretty "f'n" cool, to say the least. Except for the the part about not using the keyboard Neutral . Only thing is, everytime I come to this site it just reminds me of what I don't have now - Internet at home. I will return someday! If only everything in my life wasn't so expensive.

DS: MPH: Team Battle Anyone?, Tetris, Worms, AC
PS2: Monster Hunter!
DarkLink
rank 25
Posted:
Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:40 pm
quote : #12
For those of you interested in this game you better go and read this article at IGN..seems the only way to get it is through their website. Here's the link for the complete info..

http://cube.ign.com/articles/591/591926p1.html

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:42 am
quote : #13
Type: NTSC-U/C
Man does IGN ever look at anything realistically. I want to stab them all in the eye sometimes. I wonder if they actually are that guillable or they are just trying to fuel the flames of their userbase intentionally. That game is never coming to the US. Second of all, import game shops will buy up copies off of their official website and sell them for more money on their sites. They know they will sell since there is an obvious demand by some people to import it. So they will just resell the games.

Also, would like to point out Play-Asia has had the thing up for preorder:
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-4b-15-Homeland-70-grw.html

It may very well only be accessable through chunsoft. Just pointing out its on pre-order for the sake of it. Actualy acquiring the game shouldn't be that hard. It will be available somewhere.

IGN's employees are space cadets.

I am buying Homeland btw.
banned!
Posted:
Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:46 am
quote : #14
I bet this game will be Japanese text heavy.. so if I had bought a GC instead of a DS I would not import it...

Lunar Eclipse
rank 24
Posted:
Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:08 am
quote : #15
The large amount of text that is bound to be in the single player portion of the game will probably turn a lot of people off to it; however, the online component really won't suffer at all, and let's face it, that's why people are really buying this game. Also, by the looks of it, the single player and multiplayer quests appear to be completely different, so I'm wondering if there is even a way to build up your online character offline. Anyways, the game still looks really cool, and if I can do it for less that 100 dollars or so and the game is as fun and interesting as many believe it will be, I might consider importing the game, buying a BB adapter, and purchasing a Free-Loader.

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." (Winston Churchill)