Page Location: Home > Archive - News > Topic
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:38 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C

It seems as no suprise that as soon as Mario Kart Double Dash was announced to have LAN compatibility, those with Gamecubes were phening for online play. Seeing as how it would run over a network interface, the gaming community will not take 'NO' for an answer.

So far it has been confirmed that GameSpy will infact be developing a tunneler for Mario Kart Double Dash and other LAN based games.

However now we have will have 2 options, and I would assume even more as time progresses.

A Gameube Online Tunnel Software Project is currently underway, they have already made huge progress. Titled the "Warp Pipe Project", they have already released LAN protocol specifications for the nintendo gamecube. They were able to capture LAN data from a Kirby Air Ride game in progress. This information is vital to programming an effective online bridge for the Nintendo Gamecube.

Apparently they say that a simple tunneling program is not sufficient. The 2 networks over the internet must be bridged somehow.

So it is infact more complex, and a simple tunneler like that used with the xbox will not suffice. However the fervor being applied to this situation along with the fact that it's a whole 4 months away from Mario Kart Double Dash coming out, should leave for plenty of ahead to sit back and get this working.

So it looks like we have both GameSpy, and the Underground Gaming community working to bring online compatibilities to the gamecube.

If you would like to check out more information, pelase visit:
Warp Tunnel Project
GameCube LAN Protocol
Kirby Video playing over LAN

rank 23
Posted:
Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:11 pm
quote : #2
All I can say is w00t! I'll be watching this closely. Kirby doesn't look too bad, actually looks kinda fun. I might consider buying it now, especially considering that the people who made SSBM made Kirby, it's gotta be loaded with extras and goodies and nice stuff like that!
Posted:
Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:40 pm
quote : #3
another game for me would be nice. just a little break from pso. pikmin isnt cuttin it.
rank 24
Posted:
Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:47 pm
quote : #4
How much do you think these services will cost, if anything?

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." (Winston Churchill)
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:13 pm
quote : #5
services? this is software homebrew tunneling software....its not going to cost anything hehehe FREE lol. GameSpy's technology might be integrated into the game itself, thats what rumours are saying. Kirby Air Ride would require a PC running software, routing the 2 networks together.

Currently a similar method can be done with TimeSplitters 2 on PS2.

All you need is broadband and a computer. So no extra charges or costs involved in any of this. Very Happy

And since the games were meant for LAN play no ingame chatting system or server directory setup will be functioning, so this makes websites like this.....very useful for coordinating gaming. GameSpy might even have it in their gamespy arcade software so there could be lobbies, for mario kart, so only time will tell.
rank 24
Posted:
Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:15 pm
quote : #6
Sounds good to me.

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." (Winston Churchill)
Suppa Buddha
rank 13
Posted:
Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:50 pm
quote : #7
yeah its kinda like HALO online i know you can play it on XB Connect and Gamespy. its pretty fun but if you join other ppls games its laggy unless they have like T1 or better. but if you host no lag Laughing lag goes to the ppl who joined your game.
rank 47
Posted:
Sat Jul 19, 2003 3:14 am
quote : #8
Its actually different because its not just tunneling it across the net, you need to make the 2 consoles think they are on the same LAN, rather than just linking the two systems together via IP adress's or something.

You have to bridge the two LAN's across the net. Which poses some complex network programming which is why the Warp Tunnel Project is currently seeking any and all developers interested to pitch in.

If it were as easy as xb connect, it would have been programmed by now. Smile Read the GameCube protocol information for a clearer idea on all this. Provides in depth description of how the GameCube communicates over a LAN interface.
rank 3
Posted:
Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:18 pm
quote : #9
if u have to have a computer running a program to connect to another gamecube... do u think that there would be a copy made for mac os X? and wouldnt that mean (playing LAN over the net) that u could have 4 players per gamecube playing 4 other players each w/ there own gamecube?
Posted:
Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:26 pm
quote : #10
Mac OS X? It'll be done in the future, once they figure out how to do it, but it's only for linux right now, for testing purposes. 4 vs 4, each on their own gamecube? Well, that's possible, except it's actually be 1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1, since there aren't really teams in Mario Kart (if that is the game we're talking about here).