1, 2  Next
petrolhead
rank 3
Posted:
Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:56 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Just picked up a Gamecube(my first ever Nintendo!!)
And talked the shop into giving me Star Wars Rogue SquadronII as my free game(second hand).Cost.£25.
VERY VERY happy with this result.

So i need some advice.
How do i play against others online? Is there a modem internally? Broadband?

Best action games.shooters,online games etc.

Blood,splatter,carnage,mass destruction etc

I'm into most types of game really except sport titles.
List's and recommendations gratefully accepted.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Chile
rank 8
Posted:
Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:14 pm
quote : #2
well, to play online, you need to buy an adapter, there is modem and broadband so take your pick.
Konradshohe Lvl 21 (Skyly)
DarkLink
rank 25
Posted:
Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:18 pm
quote : #3
Well if you are looking into the online department on GC is very limited. PSO 1 & 2 and PSO 3, Homeland coming soon and then there are those games that have LAN features but can be tunneled to be played online. You could use either a dial-up adapter or broadband, I recommend Broadband. Shooting game the best one for me has to be Timesplitters 2, action games there is the Metroid Prime games both really good, you got Zelda and Super Mario Sunshine, best multi-player has to be without a doubt Super Smash Brothers Melee and Mario Kart Double Dash wich can be tunneled to play online. For the broadband and dial-up adapter you have to buy them separately, new is I think $39.99 but you could find in Ebay cheaper. That's all I could think of right now. Hope that helps.

petrolhead
rank 3
Posted:
Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:27 pm
quote : #4
The only game that i have so far is Star Wars Rogue squadron II.

Surely there are LOADS of decent games available...................tell me this is right......please...

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:58 pm
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U/C
There are tons of awsome games for the gamecube. Darklink was saying that the cube was just limited in terms of it's online capabilites thats all. You can see the online games list in the main navigation for the games that take advantage of online or lan play.

If your looking for a good recommendation for some quality gamecube gaming. Check out Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2 Echoes. Amazing games.

Also like Darklink said, look into TimeSplitters 2, by far the best splitscreen FPS action you'll find on the GC.
rank 3
Posted:
Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:26 pm
quote : #6
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Are there any awesome (old style 2d) shooters?

What about Action Adventures? Tombraider style.

PSO.I asume this is Phantasy Star Online(similar to the Dreamcast game?)

TheMytho
rank 15
Posted:
Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:40 pm
quote : #7
There is always Prince of Persia and the sequel, Warrior Within, to tickle your adventure fancy. I did not enjoy Prince of Persia, but it seems I'm in the vast minority.

-Mytho

petrolhead
rank 3
Posted:
Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:46 pm
quote : #8
Very Happy Very Happy

Are there any decent racing games?
Something in the GranTurismo,F355(dc) kind of style.

TheMytho
rank 15
Posted:
Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:48 pm
quote : #9
petrolhead wrote:
Very Happy Very Happy

Are there any decent racing games?
Something in the GranTurismo,F355(dc) kind of style.

Nothing really comes to mind regarding Gran Turismo/F355 sim racers for GameCube. Neutral

-Mytho

McRing_Ring
rank 38
Posted:
Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:22 pm
quote : #10
petrolhead wrote:
Are there any awesome (old style 2d) shooters?

What about Action Adventures? Tombraider style.

PSO.I asume this is Phantasy Star Online(similar to the Dreamcast game?)

PSO is indeed Phantasy Star Online, it would be safe to say it is similiar to the DC one but it has a lot of extra features including a whole new episode with 4 lush enviroments, 3 new character classes and tons of new rare items
Posted:
Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:31 am
quote : #11
Very Happy
What other AAA games do people recommend?
All i can see is Metroid2 and RE4.

Lunar Eclipse
rank 24
Posted:
Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:05 pm
quote : #12
Here are all the GCN games that I own and what I think of them (what I feel are AAA titles are bolded):

Animal Crossing - Though it won't appeal to all, it is unique and fun and has great replay value--good for quick play sessions
Baten Kaitos - Amazing turn-based RPG experience that is very underrated in my opinion, voice acting could use some work
Beyond Good and Evil - greatest sleeper hit ever, adventure game with superb storyline and amazing depth
Custom Robo - pretty good game, most don't like the story mode; however, the multiplayer is the main draw here
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles - good game if you have 1-3 friends, all with GBA's, otherwise, single player is less than exciting
Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life - fun experience, but difficult to get into at first, once you get started though, you can't stop
Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition - great Zelda compilation
Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures - once again, a fun game if you have friends with GBA's, otherwise, steer clear
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - port of the N64 classic with a harder mode (Master Quest) included
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker - many are turned off by the cartoony graphics, but it's a gorgeous game--play it and you'll love it
Mario Kart: Double Dash - fun racer, especially in multiplayer
Mario Power Tennis - great tennis game, once again a good multiplayer experince
Mega Man: Network Command Mission - good side scrolling Mega Man game, not the best, but decent
Mega Man X: Command Mission - in my opinion, an extremely underrated turn-based, cel-shaded RPG
Metroid Prime - great way to bring Metroid into 3-D; great first-person adventure/shooter with tremendous atmopshere
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - surpasses its predessor in many ways which is a monumental achievement; multiplayer added
Mystic Heroes - OK game, bought it mainly because I was bored; very difficult with some issues (has multiplayer)
Nintendo Gamecube Preview Disc - just a preview disc containg demos of some of the games in my collection
Paper Mario: Thousand-Year Door - the best (well, at least the most fun) RPG on the GCN with a great sense of humor
Phantasy Star Online: Episode I and II - if you want online, PSO is where you need to be, great online multiplayer RPG
Phantasy Star Online: Episode I and II Plus - same as above, with a few extra quests
Phantasy Star Online: Episode III - not as much fun as EpisodeI and II, in my opinion; real-time combat replaced with card system
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time - very fun and innovative game; control time, run on walls, etc.--great stroyline, great game
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within - not as good as its predecessor, but still fun nonetheless, just feels a bit rushed
Resident Evil 4: everyone knows that this game looks great and plays great; get it now
Roboteh: Battlecry - fun shoot 'em up with some good qualities; just doesn't quite measure up to some other similar games
Sonic Heroes - an OK Sonic game though I liked Adventure 1 and 2 better; lots of glitches as has been the norm with 3D Sonics
Sonic Mega Collection - nice compilation with a lot of extras
Soul Calibur 2 - Soul Calibur is the definitive fighting series in my opinion, this one doesn't dissappoint
Star Fox: Adventures - pretty good Zelda clone; many criticize it for not being a true Starfox game, but give it a chance
Star Fox: Assault - the true sequel to Starfox 64 is a satisfying yet short experience; great multiplayer offers massive replay value
Super Mario Sunshine - a nice 3-D platformer with everyone's favorite plumber; good Mario title
Super Monkey Ball 2 - very unique and extremely difficult at later stages; once again, multiplayer is the meat of this game
Super Smash Bros. Melee - great fighter sarring our favorite Nintendo characters; some awesome multi-player madness
Tales of Symphonia - a great cel-shaded RPG, the battle system and voice work are top-notch; extremely fun
Viewtiful Joe - pretty fun and innovative 2.5-D beat 'em up; influence time with your super-cool V-Watch

I know that's a lot to sort through, but I typically research games before I buy them unless it's a sequel that I'm looking forward to in which case I pre-order. I really like most of these games that I own, and I hope that list helps you out a bit in selecting some good games for your new GCN. If you're looking for 2-D shooters I'd suggest Ikaruga which I own for the Dreamcast but was ported to the GCN.

It doesn't seem like we have similar tastes in games, but at least check out the reviews for some of these games.

Last edited by Lunar Eclipse on Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." (Winston Churchill)
petrolhead
rank 3
Posted:
Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:10 pm
quote : #13
Very Happy

Thanks a lot, that list must have taken a while.

Very Happy
Gonna get me some Bongo's as well....
Thet look like an absolute riot.

Anyone else got em already?

Is PSO the only online game available?

Posted Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:18 pm:

Very Happy

Are there any more online games being planned?

Posted Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:30 pm:

Very Happy
I must admit that i have never owned a Mario game.
I'm gonna consider it though.

What ones are recommended?

Posted Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:31 pm:

Something strange is happening here.

mr.bigG20
rank 4
Posted:
Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:57 pm
quote : #14
I've always loved nintendo's characters, Link, Mario, Samus, Fox, etc....
Anyway if you have never played any of titles like these, you should...., All very lovable characters and you'll get hooked on their games quickly, sush as mostly all of mario games. Even though some ignorant "GAMERS" say that games like Mario and Sonic are for children. True Gamers knew that most of the best games ever come from these "childish games". I really recommend Mario Sunshine and of course, Metroid Prime 1 and 2. If you never played a mario game before and play sunshine, you'll probably want to play the old mario SNES games and Mario 64, lol. But, Zelda games are truely my favorite with games like LOZ:WW and LOZ:OoT (even though some think it was too highly rated Sad , but I think it deserved those scores...)Well, I'm also really excited to get the new Zelda game so save some money for that one too... Mr. Green Mr. Green
Koiter (Hucast) lvl 20
Dante (Humar) lvl 32

Right now I'm raising my FO to Ultimate...
McRing_Ring
rank 38
Posted:
Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:05 pm
quote : #15
petrolhead wrote:
Very Happy

Thanks a lot, that list must have taken a while.

Very Happy
Gonna get me some Bongo's as well....
Thet look like an absolute riot.

Anyone else got em already?

Is PSO the only online game available?

Posted Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:18 pm:

Very Happy

Are there any more online games being planned?

Posted Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:30 pm:

Very Happy
I must admit that i have never owned a Mario game.
I'm gonna consider it though.

What ones are recommended?

Posted Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:31 pm:

Something strange is happening here.

Instead of making new posts everytime, LordNikon(The site admin) made a script that adds it on to your post, if no has has replied since then.

PSO comes in 3 games really, episode 1 and 2, episode 1 and 2 plus and episode 3.

They're really great games, if you played PSO on the DC you'll know what I'm talking about