Page Location: Home > GameCube Lounge > Topic
shoutout33
rank 6
Posted:
Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:12 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hey guys, needed to know if you have to have a GBA, in order play FFCC as one player. I don't think you have too, only if you do two or more players. To me, IMHO, I thought this was really, really, really, stupid on Nintendo's part, but you have give it to them for thinking outside box. I mean, I know that they were trying to find ways for connectivity, but not everyone was going to buy the handheld like that. Crap...I'm arguing about this again...let me stop Rolling Eyes . Anywho, if you can play as one player with the controller, I'm thinking about getting the game. Thanks in advance guys.

My wife's website: www.hieriphany.com
gary_b
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:36 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
shoutout33 wrote:
Hey guys, needed to know if you have to have a GBA, in order play FFCC as one player. I don't think you have too, only if you do two or more players. To me, IMHO, I thought this was really, really, really, stupid on Nintendo's part, but you have give it to them for thinking outside box. I mean, I know that they were trying to find ways for connectivity, but not everyone was going to buy the handheld like that. Crap...I'm arguing about this again...let me stop Rolling Eyes . Anywho, if you can play as one player with the controller, I'm thinking about getting the game. Thanks in advance guys.
i am pretty sure this game is playable with out a GBA. the GBA was for bonus play. if i remember correctly. but i can see how you could get frustrated with having to buy a GBA to play with all the games functions.

for any bonus content using the GBA in combination with the cube it should be seen in a few ways. first off in almost all cases if not all of them it is just bonus content. i think the way nintendo looked at it was if you had any nintendo product you most likely had another. and would not need to run out and buy it. let me just say i was not a huge nintendo fan but i had a cube and 2 GBAs hell atm they sell for like $15 to 25 for the non sp. the GBAs where so cheap why not have one. i didn't bother playing my cube either but for some reason i had one of them too. i did not have the link cable though. still don't

but if i had all this and i wasn't a fan of nintendo. then think what true fans had?

i see it as anoying for you to have to go out and buy new things to have full function for a game though. this has always bothered me with malti player on gameboy hardware. even from start. with me way back in the early 90s. not only did i need 2 gameboys i needed to copies of the game as well as a link cable. always felt like i was being milked for every penny from nintendo

SEGA RPG FAN
rank 7
Posted:
Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:56 pm
quote : #3
Single player just needs the gamecube controller. I think you can also use the GBA if you wish but it's not necessary.

In order to play multiplayer separate GBAs are necessary for each player. This is because in multiplayer everyone plays on the same screen (no split-screen) and each player needs to access their own menu via the GBA.

shoutout33
rank 6
Posted:
Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:14 am
quote : #4
SEGA RPG FAN wrote:
Single player just needs the gamecube controller. I think you can also use the GBA if you wish but it's not necessary.

In order to play multiplayer separate GBAs are necessary for each player. This is because in multiplayer everyone plays on the same screen (no split-screen) and each player needs to access their own menu via the GBA.

Thanks for the replies. That's what I thought. I don't think; however, that you need a split screen to have a successful multi-player game. One of the reasons I was drawn too the game, was BECAUSE of the non-split screen concept. You see everything much clearer and can keep up with your teammates better.

I do understand that it'd be difficult, being an action RPG, to bring up each characters menu, while fighting, sharing, switching out wepons etc., but this is Nintendo for cryin out loud! They could've come up with better ways to pull this off. (A small version of PSO's in game fighting HUD would'a been really cool! Mr. Green ) While you're BS'n, they SHOULD HAVE MADE IT AN ONLINE GAME Sad Confused Mad Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad Exclamation Neutral , so this wouldn't have been an issue in the first place!!!! Damn. Here I go again.... Anyway, thanks again people. Although I plan to get the GC version, I also want ot see how the do it for the next gen system. This time, they really have no excuses.

My wife's website: www.hieriphany.com
gary_b
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:54 pm
quote : #5
i just picked the game up today. i will have to go get a GBA adapter now. i need one for metroid and another game anyway.

so far i have only turned it on and made 1 character. the game looks nice but i'm not sure how much i could get into it.

TheMytho
rank 15
Posted:
Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:27 am
quote : #6
I thought this game's levels were extremely short. You could complete a stage (in addition to a boss battle) within seven to ten minutes. I didn't get much further than the first year though, so the levels might open up a bit more as you progress.

Manji
rank 11
Posted:
Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:24 am
quote : #7
loved crystal chronicles, but i do think it was short-sighted of Nintendo and square to require GBA's to enjoy multiplayer. to me, it always felt like a cheap marketing tool to drive the GBA-GC connectivity features. not a great idea and it think it would have done much better without GBA requirement. however, i enjoyed the single player so much, it was still fun all by yourself and im sure nobody would have liked to carry the chalice anyways. Rolling Eyes

but wow, just thinking about online play makes perfect sense! it would have given the Gamecube's broadband adapter a better reason for existing. so much potential!